1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Windows XP Pop-up Ads From HELL!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KyleReeder, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KyleReeder

KyleReeder Thread Starter

ok.. this has become one of the most bothersome things, as some of you know, i have been posting about random shutoffs. Even though thats the most annoying thing, i thought before my new powersupply gets in, i would try to get this fixed...

this ONLY happens when im playing counterstrike... seriously ONLY...

when im in a game, anywhere from 5 seconds - 1 hour into it.. a popup ad will appear ... making me restart the game to get my sound back.. very annoying... here is the info..

it comes from the process "csrss.exe" (which cannot be ended, its a critical process for the system), also to note, nothing is running in the background.

ive ran spybot / virus scan many times... the weird thing about these ads is they only come while playing Counterstrike...

any ideas ???

2. Piringa

Piringa

Do you happen to be playing in a cafe's computer?

I remember playing in a cyber cafe CS and I would get random pop ups. I thought about it for a second and it could only be one thing. I checked any connections ot the outside and there was one connection on a certain port. So I think it was a trojan with someone on the other end messing around.

There could be other things causing this but thats what poped into my head when it happened to me

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If these are messenger ads, configure your firewall to block ports 135, 137-139, and 445. This will kill off the access to send you these messages.

4. KyleReeder

piringa: no, this is my personal at home computer.

johnwill: i dont have a firewall?? i mean.. if i do, i have never messed with it, or even seen anything about it... if i need to download one, where can i get one ??

5. JohnWill

If you don't have a firewall, that's a big reason why you have this, and probably other nasty stuff knocking on your door! ZoneAlarm Free Download has a free download for personal use, I recommend you check it out

6. Ichabod

Ichabod

Windows XP has a built in firewall. But you have to enable it. I've had good luck with it so far, all the tests I've tried nothing has made it through.

Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Network Connections. Then right click on the connection you are using, click Advanced. You can allow or disallow whichever functions you like.

Ichabod

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You can also disable messenger as a startup service through Administrative Tools> Services. Few will need it for anything.

Frankly I am skeptical of the need to install an additional firewall in XP. ZoneAlarm has a very heavy footprint, can be difficult for the uninitiated to configure for some system profiles, and occasional issues with it can be quite troublesome.

As far as I know there is no way to use XPs firewall to prevent these pop-ups.

8. JohnWill

I disagree with disabling messenger, since a number of programs use it, some virus scanners, UPS systems, network messages, etc.

Besides, if the NETBIOS pop-ups are showing up, it's a loud wake-up call that your firewall protection is not doing the job! :rolleyes: Treating the symptom by disabling one service is not fixing the problem, which is inadequate protection from external threats.

9. KyleReeder

Cool thanks for everyone's opinions!

i ended up downloading zone alarm and all the ads have stopped, IN ADDITION, my computer seems MUCH more stable, and i have had less errors where it shuts down w/o warning! I also disabled messenger, and everything seems to be great.

i have one thing to ask...

ive had zone alarm on for 2 days... are these values very bad or normal ??

32 intrusions blocked since install
    14 of those have been high-rated
    1 inbound access attempt blocked

could someone just translate these for me ??

thanks!~~

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice