[Resolved] Windows XP won't boot unless cdrom door open

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dilbert

Hi, this is my first posting.
I recently installed windows XP home (upgrade to Win 98) ever sense, Windows will not boot up completely unless the
CD Rom door is open. Window will hang after showing my
system information, ie processor speed , memory, disks found
and will state press f2 to enter set up. From this point it doesn't
matter what you do, it just stays on this screen.
However, if after turning the power on, you immediately open the
CD rom door, the computer will boot up XP and run fine with the exception that you can't use the CD rom it must remain open.
If you close the cd rom, your arrow pointer also has what looks like a blinking cd attached to it.
I've opened the computer and it appears all of the connections are still good. I've looked in the devise manager and it says the
cd rom drive is working properly.
Any Ideas???

System info:
Mircon
Pentium II 400 mhz
384 MB RAM
8Gig HD
CD-Rom
CD-RW

Del

OK, did we watch the Super Bowl yesterday? Did we have a few beers, haha
No really, just kidding but sounds strange.
Did you try getting it booted up, then put a c.d. in the tray and close it. See what happens then.

It must be a BIOS setting causing the problem. Press F2 to enter BIOS Setup and check your settings. As a test try removing the CD-ROM from the Boot sequence, try having FLoppy and Hard drive.

P.S. Welcome to TSG

dilbert

Thanks for the reply...
I've tried to remove the CD Rom from the boot sequence but do
not know how. I can move it up or down in the sequence but that doesn't help. How do you remove it????

Before hitting F2 to enter set up the screen reads:

Fixed disk 0: WDC AC28400R-(PM)
ATAPI CD-Rom: NEC CD-ROM-(SM) :28D
ATAPI CD-Rom: Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer-(SS)9100

I then hit F2 and enter set up

The Boot sequence shows:
1st Boot Removable Devices
2nd Boot Hard Drive
3rd Boot ATAPI CD-Rom Drive
4th Boot Network Boot

Any more suggestions on what to do?? Thanks

HI, Did you press F2 as the way I read your post it looks like XP does no think the setup is complete. It is looking for the CD to finish the job. I am not an expert however it just seems logical from my experiences. Peace Mal

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm beginning to think you have a broken CD drive,

Cruise to Bootdisk and download a WIN98 bootdisk with CD support. Boot from the floppy and see if you can access the CD drive normally, doing a DIR to the CD's drive letter should be sufficient. If that doesn't work, most likely the CD is toast, disconnect the data cable and see if the system acts normally. If so, it's time to spend $20 on Pricewatch and buy a new CD-ROM drive. :)

dilbert

Thanks for all the help folks.
I finally did an uninstall of XP and then a DIR on
my hard drives (C & D) and then a reinstall
of the original Win 98 everything is working fine now.
Still haven't reinstalled XP and probably won't.;)

I've noticed this on some compaq computers here at work. What I did was open the case and physically change the order of the two cd roms (cd rom and burner) on the cable. You may have to swap from top to bottom the order of the two cd's in the case so that the cable fits nicely.

This worked for us, might want to give it a try.

The order for booting, in the BIOS, should be

1. Removable drive (floppy)
2. CD Rom
3. Hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online