1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Wrong drive letter

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Jazzman, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jazzman

Jazzman Thread Starter

I have just re-installed a CD writer on my new computer and it is going OK, although I have a residual problem.
    The new hardware has been installed as the 'D' drive and the, previously installed DVD , is now the 'E' drive (although it used to be the 'D' drive). So when I put a CD in the DVD drive the media player (or Real Jukebox) does not recognise that there is a CD ready to play. If I put the CD in the new CD-Writer that's OK.
    Can I specify what logical drive address I want the device to be when I install hardware from the Control panel or My Computer?

2. Whirlwind

Whirlwind

Hi Jazzman,

Have you tried:

- Start/Setting/Control Panel, double-click to open System

- Click the Device Manager tab, click the + sign to expand CDROM, highlight one of the CD (in this case, it's the DVD) then click the Properties button, click the Setting tab, in the Start drive letter select "D", and End drive letter select "E"

- Repeat this with the next CD (your CDRW), Start drive letter[/i] select "E", and End drive letter select "E"

Of course you have to set either your DVD and CDRW in order i.e. C drive is IDE 0 (Primary Master) with D drive (DVD) also on the same cable (Primary Slave), CDRW is on IDE 1 (jumpered master on Secondary Master) will become E

Hope you understand all that and hope this will solve your problem :)

3. Jazzman

Jazzman Thread Starter

If only all technical advice were so prompt, lucid and effective.
    Thank you Whirlwind you have hit the nail on the head.

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind

I am so glad that the problem solve and you're very welcome :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!