1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) Xp Pro Not Recognising Second Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by richarddagg, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. richarddagg

richarddagg Thread Starter

I just upgraded from xp home to pro corporate. I had a second drive installed as a slave and it worked fine in Home. Pro wont recognize that it even exists!! It doesn't show up in admin tools, or anywhere else...although it does show up as a partition when I boot into DOS.

2. prospect

prospect

Welcome richarddagg! Does it show up in disk management?

3. richarddagg

No, it doesn't show up in disk management either. Maybe I should mention that it still has all the files on it that it had when I was running Home Edition. I haven't reformatted it or anything...

r

4. prospect

prospect

Are you sure you it is connected properly? You know the ribbon, power. Disk management should see it. I recently installed a new HD and had it set as a slave. But I didn't see it in windows explorer. So I called Maxtor and he told me I had to format it in Disk management. There I could see it. It also gave it a drive letter there. And it worked. But I wasn't going from one OS to another.

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Is this drive connected to the same IDE ribbon as the primary drive? Does the drive even show up in the device manager? Have you checked your IRQ's to make sure you don't have a conflict?

Rollin

6. richarddagg

I was looking around in device manager and stumbled across something a little strange. I opened up IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and then Primary IDE Channel. I hit the advanced tab and saw that for device 1 the device type had reset itself to 'none' rather than 'auto detection. I reset it and it works fine now.

Thank you all for your replies.
    r
    :D

7. prospect

prospect

That's great. Thanks for the tip.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice