1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}xp speech recongnition software off

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sabledog, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabledog

sabledog Guest Thread Starter

from the article from lockergnome below ... i had the same thing happen to me... what i need to know.. is how do i shut this off if it happens again... im running a dell dimension 8200. win xp 1.7 ghz p4, 80g hard drive, 256 ram..
    thanks..
    sabledog

New Random Typing Virus?
    Scribbled by Richard Brodie, Newlywed

Hunnybear squealed with joy when her new Dell Inspiron 4100, dubbed "Monkeygirl," arrived. I helped her with the simple setup and then plugged in the TrueMobile wireless card to hook her up to our wireless home network. After rebooting a few times and deleting and reconstructing network connections under the new [Windows] XP Home operating system, we were up and running and connected to the Internet via AT&T Broadband and the Orinoco RG- 1000 residential gateway.

But no sooner did Hunnybear fire up Yahoo Mail and start to compose a message than a disturbing and eerie thing happened: words appeared in the mail composition window. Not the words she was typing - other words. They weren't complete sentences and they weren't random garbage, either. My first thought was we were somehow getting snatches of crosstalk from another typist somewhere. The typing seemed to happen whenever the cursor was in a textbox under Internet Explorer.

Despite the purported firewall capabilities of the RG-1000, I immediately unplugged it from the cable modem to prevent against a possible hacker attack from the Internet. The typing continued intermittently. I pulled the wireless card and rebooted Monkeygirl. That seemed to stop it. Oh no! I had been using the default encryption key on the wireless network and someone had cracked it! I quickly changed the encryption on all the network clients and the RG.

I plugged Monkeygirl back into the network and fired up Yahoo Mail. After a few minutes, the random typing resumed. I pulled the wireless card again. This time the typing continued! Monkeygirl was not connected to any network and the ghostly typing was going strong. And now it was sprinkled with disturbing words such as "C.I.A." and "Youssef."

Hunnybear called Dell and sat on hold for a half-hour while I searched for "random typing virus" on the Internet. Nothing. The support person at Dell had never heard of such a thing and gave Hunnybear a second number to call. I was convinced it was a new virus and ran two different virus scanners on all the PCs in the apartment. Nothing. I shut down Monkeygirl for the night and we slept uneasily.

The next morning I got up and flipped on CNN, which we had had on practically constantly since September 11. No news was good news, so I fired up Monkeygirl again, still unconnected, and brought up a cached Yahoo Mail window in offline mode. The typing started right up. I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and looked at the task manager. There was a suspicious process using a lot of CPU time called SAPISVR.EXE. I figured that was probably the virus so I searched the hard drive for that file and found three copies. One of the copies was in the folder: Windows \ Common Files \ Speech. Speech. Speech! I leaned back and broke into a huge grin. Monkeygirl had been shipped with speech recognition enabled and a built-in microphone. The entire time, commentary from CNN had been feeding into the laptop's mike and being translated into typing. The quality of the speech recognition was so poor that it was impossible to recognize the result as coming from the words spoken. I turned off the TV and tried speaking myself, one word at a time, very crisply, to test it. Sure enough.

I figured out how to turn off the feature and when Hunnybear arose from her beauty sleep I told her the solution. We were happy to have exorcised the demon from Monkeygirl, but vowed to warn others lest they fear their new XP systems are truly possessed.

2. brianF

brianF

Try going to administrative tools/component services. Highlight the process, right click, stop it, and either choose manual start or disable in the drop down box.

3. sabledog

sabledog Guest Thread Starter

thanks brian... im new to xp...
    you the man!!!!!

sabledog

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!