1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Resolving "conflicts" in Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RickDean, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RickDean

RickDean Thread Starter

I'm working with win98 trying to resolve reported hardware "conflicts". I see multiple apparent listings of conflicts according to the following list but I'm at a loss as to understanding how to resolve them.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard OK
    IRQ 2 Programmable interrupt controller OK
    IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 5 HSP56 MicroModem OK
    IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller OK
    IRQ 7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1) OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus OK
    IRQ 9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 9 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 9 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
    IRQ 9 Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI (WDM) OK
    IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 10 WinME Promise Ultra100 (tm) IDE Controller (PDC20265) OK
    IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
    IRQ 11 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 OK
    IRQ 11 3Com HomeConnect 3C450 Adapter OK
    IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK
    IRQ 15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK
    ---------------------------------------------------
    My motherboard is an asus a7v-133 and this is the original setup configuration as I bought the computer. everything seems to be working ok and I don't get many unusual "crashes" but I don't understand why not because I thought that IRQs were not supposed to be shared. Where can I find the technical documentation to explain this. Unfortunately, I did not receive a manual for the motherboard and I'm currently looking to get one but from my experience working with them, they don't really go into the kind of detailed explanations I need for this situation. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. brianF

brianF

It's alright if irq's are shared as there just aren't enough to go around for all of today's modern devices. PCI steering is controlling the irq's. Each device gets assigned a level of sorts, when two devices need the irq at the same time the more important gets it and the other has to wait.

The only irq sharing problem I really see with yours is irq 11 with the video card and home connect networking sharing.
    But if it's not a problem leave well enough alone.

You can download a manual here
    http://www.asus.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/manual_socka.html#a7v133

3. RickDean

RickDean Thread Starter

Thanks for your help; I downloaded the manual but now I'm having some problems getting my old HP-560C to print; wasting lots of paper on garbled output. But that's another issue I'll deal with later.
    My main problem with "conflicts" is on my oldest machine that was originally a 486 set up with SCSI. I've upgraded the motherboard to a 1STMainboard (VA-503+), keeping the SCSI adaptor with two rather small hard drives with most of my old programs on them and added two large EIDE drives. It's on this machine I can't get the motherboard to work with the Diamond Stealth III video card. I see the initial Bios display for the card on boot up but when Win98 boots up all I get is a standard VGA display. I haven't been able to get this system to see or update the drivers on the CDrom even though it displays the contents of the CDrom on the screen.
    I don't understand how it can show you information and data on the screen and then say it can't find the very same data when you try to load the drivers through control panel. Have you ever encountered this situation before?

4. tjsudo

tjsudo

What happens if you click on .exe file in CD rom?

If you can see it, how about copying CD to the DeskTop and run from there.

TJ

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice