1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Resource Conflict

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kc7jnu, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kc7jnu

kc7jnu Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavillion - I just installed a new hard drive. I am now getting this on boot up:

Resource Conflict - PCI in Slot 01
    Bus: 01, Device: 0e, Function:00

What to do? - Where is PCI slot 1

Thanks

Betty

2. brianF

brianF

pci slot 1 would be closest to the agp slot, the top pci slot.

I don't get it, did you change any pci cards, adding the hard drive shouldn't have done anything with the irq's, memory resources, etc.

Did you enter bios and setup the new drive.

Make sure you jumpered the drive correctly and that the full capacity of the drive is recognized in the bios.

3. kc7jnu

kc7jnu Thread Starter

I did not change any cards whatsoever.

In checking setup - it reports the proper MB (30604) for the new drive. However, if I hit return on the Primary Master - I get
    Type: Auto
    and CHS format - Maximum Capacity 8455MB
    LBA Format max capacity 30604MB.

???means nothing to me.

Are the pci slots the white ones? Actually - the only card I have is the modem - which I don't need - should I take it out? ( I have a cable modem that is not yet hooked to that computer.

I did nothing in the bios - was I supposed to?

4. brianF

brianF

Primary master looks fine, you need to run lba to see the entire drive size.

Set the new one to auto also.

Does it make a difference.

5. kc7jnu

kc7jnu Thread Starter

What does "run LBA" mean? How do I do that? I tried highlighting "LBA" but it wouldn't let me highlight it, although it says max capacity 30604 which is the correct size (30 gig HD)

6. brianF

brianF

duh, when you format the drive, you select lba, that makes the drive fat32 and it will see the capacity, my answer above was incorrect.
    boot to the dos prompt, run fdisk, choose option #4 view partition info, what does it say about both, should both be fat32 if you format the new drive

7. kc7jnu

kc7jnu Thread Starter

Ran F-Disk - all drives are Fat32.

If I Select "F2" Resume, after the error message - everything works fine.

In the Device manager under Other Devices - all PCI's have the yellow ?'s Could this be the modem? Think I'll take it out. Could it be the scanner hooked to the parallel port? ( I have no printers attached)

B.

8. LarryCore

LarryCore

All the devices have ? because you are getting a conflict at boot, before Windows loads. This conflict is being sent on to Windows, and Windows is showing it to you.

Once it is cleared up Windows should clear up too.

Is there any more to the error message at boot? If the only PCI card (yes, they are the white slots) you have is the modem try taking it out to see if the errors go away.

9. kc7jnu

kc7jnu Thread Starter

Took out the modem - That worked ---

Thanks very much....

Betty

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice