1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Resource Conflict...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SMOAKinc, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SMOAKinc

SMOAKinc Thread Starter

My sister has yet again had an issue with a laptop. It happened out of nowhere and I can't figure anything out myself.
    Here's the problem..

It's a Toshiba Satellite.

PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1
    Copyright 1985-2007 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
    All Rights Reserved

Video BIOS shadowed
    Fixed Disk 0: TOSHIBA MK1255GSX H
    ATAPI CD-ROM: PIONEER DVD-RW
    Mouse initialized
    ERROR
    Resource Conflict - PCI Serial Bus Controller on Motherboard
    Bus:0A, Device:01, Function:00
    ERROR
    Resource Conflict - PCI on Motherboard
    Bus:0A, Device:01, Function:02
    ERROR
    Resource Conflict - PCI Mass Storage Controller on Motherboard
    Bus:0A, Device:01, Function:03

Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to Setup

Pressing F2 does nothing, Pressing F1, it beeps again and then..

Press <F2> to enter Setup, <F12> to enter MultiBoot Selection Menu

Pressing F2 still does nothing and pressing F12 also does nothing.
    After that there's nothing I can do except force power off or press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart it but it still comes to that screen.
    All the problems seem to be something with the motherboard, so does that mean the motherboard randomly decided to fry or what.

I'm hoping I can actually get this fixed without having to spend any money for Geek Squad or someone to do it.
    Any help would be much obliged. Thank you.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try choosing BIOS defaults.

Is the date correct in BIOS?

3. SMOAKinc

SMOAKinc Thread Starter

I can't get to the BIOS, all I get is that black Error screen.
    There's no way out of that.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

BIOS should be before that screen. Try holding del when powering on.

5. SMOAKinc

SMOAKinc Thread Starter

Holding del doesn't do anything, still beeps at me and brings up the error screen.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You will need to reset BIOS. If you are not mechanically-inclined, you may want to bring it to a pro. Be gentle. Unplug all hardware that is not needed. Be sure that there are no broken USB jacks or other jacks on the laptop that may be shorting out.

If there is a broken jack or short in any wiring, do not continue with this process because it will not solve the problem.

&#8226; Remove Laptop Battery.

&#8226; Remove Memory Cover.

&#8226; Spread spring clips to outside and
    pull out RAM memory.

&#8226; Remove clear vinyl label opposite RAM memory slots.

&#8226; In the upper left corner you will see JOPEN1 with a white silkscreen square. Inside the square you will see what looks like the letter T over a U. Using a metal paper clip short the U to the silver 1/4" post connecting the motherboard to the laptop case and hold it for 25 -30 seconds.

&#8226; Place back your RAM memory, put in the laptop battery and try laptop.

7. SMOAKinc

SMOAKinc Thread Starter

I'll give that a try, update when tested.

8. SMOAKinc

SMOAKinc Thread Starter

No shorts that I could see, but also couldn't find JOPEN1. RAM is stacked and under them is a clear vinyl label but I couldn't find anything that resembled what you said to look for.

Edit: I took the whole thing apart to get at the CMOS battery.
    I removed the battery then put it all back together.

I can now get to the setup <F2>
    But don't know where to go from there, or if there's anything in there I can do.

Pressing F12 at boot now thinks it works. Says it's entering multiboot selection but then still hits me with the loud beep and the same error screen.
    I set the correct time and date in the setup menu so that's all right now but still getting the same exact errors.

Tried again to hold del while booting but still does nothing.

Edit 2: Since I could now change the boot order I tried changing it to boot from disc and put in a windows disc but it doesn't work either.

9. SMOAKinc

SMOAKinc Thread Starter

Still can't figure anything out, I've done the same thing over and over again about 100 times.
    I know it doesn't work just hoping that one of those times it might decide to let me actually boot up so I can try and fix the conflicts from the device manager.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is there anything broken? Has it been dropped? What led to this?

11. SMOAKinc

SMOAKinc Thread Starter

Nothing broken, never dropped that I know of.
    Just started one day, at first it would come with the same errors and let you boot to windows but that only happened once.
    Ever since that it does this.
    Unplugging the CMOS battery allowed me to get farther then I had yet, which as I said it actually allowed me to press F2 for setup.
    I'm gonna have to look a little harder at the motherboard to see if I can find that T on a U you mentioned before.

12. SMOAKinc

SMOAKinc Thread Starter

I stared at that motherboard for over an hour, I just couldn't find anything that looks like a T on a U.
    Which is really frustrating since I really wanted to get this computer to work.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Removing the battery should do the same thing as finding that reset area if you left the battery out long enough to clear the memory. If you did, the date in BIOS setup will be wrong and set back to its beginning. You need to set the date, anyway, or many things will not work correctly, so make sure the other BIOS settings are right, too, if you get in. If you are trying to start, you should be going to BIOS first instead of trying for a boot.

14. SMOAKinc

SMOAKinc Thread Starter

Yea I removed the battery long enough for the clock and date to reset. I changed those to the correct time and date but it still gets the same errors.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

Set the defaults in BIOS, make sure that you have no hardware connected (disconnect everything that is not needed to boot, even CD-ROM's, if accessible) , and try again. If the same error, you probably have some serious hardware problem and need to bring it to a shop.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!