Resources

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cj47

Hello again, Can anyone tell me how I can get my resources up to avoid the pc crashing, or slow surfing. I know about msconfig, but confess I am never sure of the boxes to leave as ticked or not. Are there any other things I should be doing to get my system, User, and GDI (whatever they are) readings up higher, I am running at around 50-60% on the first two, with 70-80% on the GDI. Please bear in mind I am only into a (very) basic understanding of these wonderfull machines :)
Thanks
Chris. (y)

Increasing resources will not speed up your surfing. If you are using XP then 256 MB of RAM or greater is a definite plus and will speed up your machine. How do you know that the crashes are caused by low resources?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Chris:

What version of Windows are you using, how fast is the processor, and how much RAM is installed?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - Startup(tab).

This is the list of programs that are loading during startup and running in the background. Other than

ScanRegistry
SystemTray
StateMgr
(Windows ME only)
Antivirus program entries
Firewall program entries

very few others need to have a checkmark next to them and load and run.

You can research your startup list by making use of the "Search" box at this site.

----------------------------------------------------------------

cj47

sorry folks, did not mean to ignor you, not been at pc for a while.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It's been 10 days, so we've been feeling ignored. :(

Seriously though, get your startup list trimmed down as much as possible. It'll help to speed things up, reduce freezes and error messages, and increase system resources. (y)

If you know how to install, run a scan, and post a log with HijackThis 1.99.1, do so. It'll give us a look at your startup list, along with seeing if your computer is infected with any "nasties". ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online