1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Responsive Web Design Accounting for Screen DPI

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by peterinwa, Dec 7, 2018 at 6:00 PM.

1. peterinwa

peterinwa Thread Starter

All the tips on RWD refer to the screen resolution of the device in terms of number of pixels in the X and Y axes. But what about the screen resolution in terms of DPI or dots (pixels) per inch?

Some RWD tutorials suggest using a smaller size font for smaller devices. However, many of the smaller devices have greater DPIs so wouldn't that already make the fonts smaller?

For example, if an iPhone has twice the DPI of an iPad, wouldn't a 20-pixel character appear half the size on the iPhone versus the iPad?

I can't find anything that discusses taking screen DPI into account in responsive web design.

What am I missing?

Thanks so much,

Peter

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

dots per inch depends on your device. Some devices have bigger pixels, hence less dpi. Some devices have smaller pixels, hence more more pixels per inch. Since there the developer don't know what device the user may use, the only real measurement he could program for is pixel count.

3. peterinwa

peterinwa Thread Starter

Thank you. That makes sense. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

If you would read the DPI of the device, you could do more to control the appearance of the image.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice