1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restart automatically upon shutdown?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by t01b1, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. t01b1

t01b1 Thread Starter

Hello everybody...I use Windows XP SP2, and:

I was wondering if there are freeware or shareware programs with no time limit (nag screen is acceptable) out there that can restart a computer automatically when it's shut down. If there are, where are they located?

Failing that, are there any programs (same deal, freeware or nag screen shareware) that can boot a computer from a powered off state at a given time?

Thanks!

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Both are often a feature of the BIOS power settings. They certainly are on mine.

3. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Ya, its inherent in most bios'. Look for power button - and you'll have three options - supsend, shut down, restart, Choose restart

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have WOL (Wake on LAN) capability, you could run a program on a different machine to wake the system up at a time of your choosing.

5. t01b1

t01b1 Thread Starter

I found an option in my BIOS to turn the computer on every day (or just weekdays) at a specified time...

That's lots better than nothing, so thanks for pointing me to the BIOS.

However, I didn't see anything that would actually turn it right back on as soon as it powered off.

Also, in Control Panel, under Power Options, there was an option under the Advanced tab to "Do nothing" when the power button was pressed...that helps too, I guess.

I don't really have access to another computer on the same network for this purpose...and I don't know if I have WOL capability. So that's out, unfortunately.

If this is all, that's great, thanks!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!