1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

restart instead of shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by igord2, Aug 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. igord2

igord2 Thread Starter

Hi all !

English is not my native language but I hope that you ll understand me.

Couple of days ago XP Pro started to act weird, when I click on shutdown everything goes fine, machine start shutdown sequence, monitor goes off and disks loose power and start to slowing but after a second machine boot again by herself.

Its important to say that couple of days ago everyting used to work fine and that problem occured from the day when I connected new hard disk (for backup) to perform format and partitioning. From then doesnt matter is that disk connected or not (mobile rack) machine wont shutdown.

Its a fresh XP installation (maybe 5 days old), upgraded to SP1 - and used to work fine for a couple of days (used to work fine with previous installation of XP SP1 for a year or two but since I had had disk crash I had to buy a new disk and install XP again).

Until today I used to try standby and hibernate - same thing occured, when computer goes to standby or hibernate immidiately boots again. Checked drivers and disable feature to wake machine in every driver where I ve found that possibility.
    Imported registry couple of days old (when machine used to work fine) but that didnt solve the problem. Used to try to change ACPI settings in BIOS but that didnt show improvements (if I disable them XP wont boot at all). Checked microsoft knowledge base and found that computers with Easy CD creator have same problem but problem is that I use Nero not Easy CD Creator.

Since Im out of ideas how to solve the problem (sure I can reinstall again but I ll do that when I realise that problem can not be solved on less painfull way) Im looking for a help here ...

Thanks in advance & best regards !

2. igord2

igord2 Thread Starter

Ive forgot, also used to reinstall motherboard drivers (Leadtek nforce 2) but that didnt solve the problem either.

System restore is off (bad habits from previous versions of windows) - I can t rely on that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/154259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice