1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

restart instead of shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by downriver, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downriver

downriver Thread Starter

Yes, I know this is a common problem, and yes I have run into it before... But, having tried everything I can discover on my own, I again cannot shutdown my computer without waiting for the re-boot and stomping the OFF button to stop it.

Last time I had this issue, I was reffered to Panda to do an online scan -- and the problem went away. I recently had a video card failure, replaced the card, and voila', S old S. I have scanned with several apps (including online Panda, again), found some stuff and got rid of it, but no help.

I do NOT have any Roxio on this machine; I have changed settings in power management; I have even installed "shutdown.exe" software... this machine will not shutdown.

Panda log attached.

xp pro sp2

Attached Files:

2. downriver

downriver Thread Starter

I want to clarify that the machine AND Windows go all the way through shutdown AND powerdown -- and then the machine re-boots unless I catch it and hold the button down.

Thnx

3. downriver

downriver Thread Starter

hello...?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/618507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice