Restart loop - on,off,on,off...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

makihara

Every time i turn my computer on it will go into a restart loop: on,off,on,off etc.
Like a continous restart mechanism.
I can't boot into safe mode as the restart loop will occur.

On normal bootup i reach the desktop to be met with error messages telling me my
system has recovered from a serious error. I click "DOnt send" and another pops up.
After about 10-15 seconds on the desktop it will go into the restart loop. EVen if
i click "dont send" constantly for all the popping up error messages the looping
restart will occur. If i sit there and do nothing the restart loop occurs.
WHen i use "boot to known working configuration" the looping restart occurs.
When i use "disable restart on system failure" the looping restart occurs.

That above is my current position with my computer.

At first i rarely reached the desktop. The restart loop started at the windows
xp welcome screen.
I couldn't use safe mode or "disable restart on system failure".
I did however try "boot to a known working configuration" which got me to the desktop
with exactly the same error messages as now but with NO looping restart. I uninstalled two programs i thought were the problem and rebooted. I reached the desktop with the same error messages.
So I then did a system restore to a previous point and now i'm in the situation with the looping restart even when i use "boot to known working configuration" i.e. the situation described at the top.

Before the problem

I recieved some stuff for christmas which i'm going to describe in order of installation just in case they might give some clue to whats happened.

1st - external hard drive. Driver automatically installed.
2nd - wireless mouse. Driver installed automatically (if there was one?)
3rd - I then installed a bundled software program for added features with the mouse which i uninstalled as it was pointless.
4th - webcam software, followed by driver. ** this is where i think a problem may lie** (detail covered later)
5th - external dvd. Driver automatically installed.
6th - Two bundled programs with external dvd installed: cineplayer 2.2, easy media creator 7. ** this is the second possibility of where i think a problem may lie** (detail covered later)

webcam details

i had some problem with this device. I put in the cd, insalled the software fine. System rebooted. Screen comes up: insert webcam into usb port. So i do. However windows automatically recognises the new hardware. Meanwhile, the original webcam screen, promting insertion of the webcam does not change at all. So i decide to go through the windows screens. But it didn't work that way. I retried several times to no avail. I tried several reinstalls, reading directly from the disk, trying to install an appropiate windows driver from a list which didn't actually go through to install. There was also an option on the cd of "Just installing drivers". It copied the files over, restarted brought up the same prompt screen and then of course the windows hardware tool automatically popped up on insertion of the webcam.
In the end i downloaded the driver installation pack from the internt. This went through the reboot process as the cd did, only this time, on inserting my webcam the windows hardware tool did not popup allowing the webcam to be properly installed.
I turned my PC off and turned it on in the morning with no reboot loop. I went onto the setup of the external dvd device.

External DVD details

Before the installation of this device i had already turned on my PC with NO looping restart. SO in theory anything done previously has not caused the problem. So perhaps the driver for the dvd is conflicting with something? Perhaps the two programs then ninstalled are the problem: Roxio Cineplayer 2.2 and Roxio easy media creator 7. I already have roxio easy media creator installed, perhaps the programs conflict? These were the two programs i uninstalled before the system restore.

Specs

Dell DImension 2400 - 512 RAM, 40GB HD, 3 GHZ pentium3
WIn XP

I hope i provided enough information
Thanks for any help
makihara

makihara

That's more of a last resort.

Wouldn't i lose all my settings?
Would anything remain or would i be starting afresh?

I actually have mostly everything backed up. I would just lose all my settings, programs, emails with outlook and my internet favourites, cookies etc. I'm guessing all of this would be deleted. Is that true?

thanks
makihara

A reinstall normally does not affect your data or other applications. It just refreshes Windows.

makihara

By reinstall do you mean using the repair function? And do i press "r" straight away and use the console or do i setup iwndows by pressing "Enter", agreee to the license agreement and then press "R".

To boot from CD am i correct in thinking you just go into the bios boot order and push the CD drive to the front?

And finally is there a possibility that this repair could make my problems worse?
Is there a chance the reboot loop could still occur even after this?

thnanks for all your quick responses so far
makihara

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You do the second repair option, following the normal install prompt.

makihara

I'm having truoble booting from the CD.

on my dell i press F12 then select boot from cd. My driver whirs a bit but nothing ever happens.

I have had problems with my dvd drive before with it being unreliable. IS there any other settiongs i need to change?

thanks mkaihara

makihara

i managed to bring up the text "pressw a key to boot from CD" which resulted in an error with the text "CDBOOT: Memory Overload".

should i post this somewhere else as its not an XP issue.

makihara

Sorry about the repeated posts but i can't edit my previous posts for some reason.

Now i got to the windows setup blue screen.

Some files were being loaded or something.

Then it came up with the error

"hidusb.sys is corrupt"

can anyone help
i'm just in the process of retyring the repair now.

makihara

makihara

ok though various repeats i got to the repair section. THe system is now checking the C drive.

I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge in this area. THe progress bar has been on 0% for about 15 minutes. It said it would only take a couple. Is this wait normal or has something gone wrong?

Some thing has gone wrong.

I am not sure what to try next, maybe someone else will have an idea.

makihara

after several other attempts i now can't boot from teh cd at al.

I'm confident it's to do with my unrelisable dvd drive.
At the moment i'm botting from this one as its the only one i can move in the boot sequence menu.

I have a cd-rw drive, how can i add this to the boot sequence menu.

If i swap it with the dvd-rw i.e. switch its master/slave status will that add the cd-rw to the boot sequence menu?

makihara

i just turned off the dvd and the cd now booted form my other drive

they were both on cable select, so by turning off the dvd automatically out the cd-rw as secondary master.

repair didn't work though.

now i get the blue screen of death
but at least no looping restarts!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online