1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restart only--will not do a Shutdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I'm putting this in the hardware section because I am satisfied this is an OS-independent problem. It happed on a dual-boot Windows 98 & 2000 and after replacing the hard disk and installing everything fresh, it is behaving the same again.

It will not do a shutdown, only a restart, in both 98 and 2K. I have checked the BIOS Setup and can't find anything in there that would seem related. This problem started about a month or so ago after a year or more of doing a shutdown as it should.

Board is P4 Gigabyte 8IPE1000-G rev. 3

2. beginnertech

beginnertech

Is there no option for Shutdown or does it just not do it when you choose the option to do so? I doubt a bios problem but make sure all the default settings are set. There should be a option for that. Do you just get a blinking cursor if you try or is it something else? Shutdown problems in Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition can be caused by many factors including, but is not limited to: a damaged exit sound file; incorrectly configured or damaged hardware; conflicting programs, or an incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver.

3. Alex Ethridge

I choose Shutdown; it restarts.

4. beginnertech

beginnertech

So what does it do when you choose "restart"? The same I guess...

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;187607

Alex, have you tried disabling fast shutdown on the win98 side of things? Also, just for grins have you tried disabling system sounds? At least the shutdown sounds for sure. I have seen the sounds mess up shutdown before.

The first thing I do on an install is disable all system sounds. They drive me nuts.:D

6. Alex Ethridge

Sounds are all off.

7. kaerloche

kaerloche

hmmm. I've experienced your problem before. When you click shut down, does your comp seem to power off and jsut about 1-2 secs later, power on again by itself? It happened to me on my old motherboard under win xp. It could be that something is triggering your mobo to restart itself. Did you set an option to be able to power on using the keyboard? Or any other power options apart from the default ones? Alo, am Iright to say that this problem occurs to both your win 98 and 2000?

8. Alex Ethridge

Same in both OSes.

It it is as though "Restart" was selected as opposed to "Shutdown".

All keyboard and mouse power-on options are disabled in BIOS.

9. kaerloche

kaerloche

i see.. It could be the mobo then, or something which triggers your pc to restart rather than to shut down. When I had this problem, it stayed with me all the way until I got my mobo changed.. I'll think of something again..

10. Mari0-Br0s

Mari0-Br0s

11. kaerloche

kaerloche

Hmm.. I just read the guide but how does this address the problem? It says "This option allows you to stop users from being able to shutdown the computer by disabling the shut down command."..

12. Novice3333

Novice3333

Alex - Did you ever get this problem solved? I am helping a friend who has Windows ME, and he is experiencing the exact same problem.

13. Alex Ethridge

I really don't know what I did that fixed the problem--or if I did anything at all. Maybe it fixed itself.

I built a new system here, and in the process, did a lot of part swapping between this one and the new one. It will shut down now.

I recommend that you try setting the BIOS to default best-performance settings and if that doesn't do it, try default fail-safe settings. See if either of those help. That's about all I know to tell you.

14. Novice3333

Novice3333

I'll try that - Thanks.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/357764

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice