1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

restart pc through cmd?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zpipes, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zpipes

zpipes Thread Starter

Hey all, I'm troubleshooting a problem with my pc atm, the original thread is http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/994878-computer-lockup-multiple-hd.html

I was wondering, can you restart the computer through the command prompt? Working with xp pro x64. What I'm looking to check is to see if the hd is still functional and its actually just the screen locking up due to a bad video card.

A good question would be, if the video card was going bad, and the screen freezes, is it possible the HD is still functioning properly? If so, then I should be able to do do windows button + r to open the run function, then type cmd to open the command prompt, all while the screen is still 'frozen' right?

Hence, given this would work, is there a command to restart or shutdown the computer?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You can try Windows key-R, then CMD of course and enter; shutdown -f -r (force and restart). In my system it just closed everything and logged me off without shutting down.
    So an alternate would be three finger salute to bring the task manager up, then Alt-U to bring up the shut down menu then down arrow twice for Turn off, three times for Restart and Enter.

3. zpipes

zpipes Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give this a try to see if it works. Just to make sure, is it possible for the hd to still function if the video card malfunctions?

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Have you tried updating the driver for the video-card?

5. Dan Penny

Dan Penny

..... is it possible for the hd to still function if the video card malfunctions?

Yes.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/994900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice