1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restart problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PaveFE, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Hey all,

Whenever I install a program that reboots (offers to and I select yes) the computer, or whenever I use the start menu to restart the computer, it restarts, but when I get to the login screen, it's locked up, can't move the mouse or anything. I hit the restart button on the front panel and everything is fine. Any ideas as to what it might be?
    Thanks,

Vince

2. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Anyone?

3. daurnimator

daurnimator

what if you do a forced reboot

4. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

As I said, if I hit the reset button on the front panel, it works fine. My guess is that if I just click on restart, some application or service is hanging up and when it comes time to login, it locks up. I've turned off the services I don't need and have minimal applications running during start up. Any ideas?

5. PaveFE

PaveFE Thread Starter

Solved: The keyboard and mouse cables on the back of the computer were backwards. Although they worked, it would lock it up during restarts using the software.
    I found it by checking the Event Log in the Admin Tools. I found a repeating error, which coincided with what I was doing. The value error was i8042prt, which through a quick search on google led me to see that it had something to do with the keyboard and mouse. Just in case some of you were wondering about troubleshooting techniques.
    See ya.

Pave

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/300855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice