1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

restart problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jedicmdrwedg, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jedicmdrwedg

jedicmdrwedg Thread Starter

Recently I've been having a problem with my PC: it restarts for no apparent reason, especially when I initiate some task such as opening a new webpage or program. It started a few weeks ago and I thought nothing of it, as my PC has a tendency to miraculously find its way into--and then back out of--the weirdest situations. But it got to the point on Friday at which I couldn't use it at all. So, thinking it may have been a virus of some sort, I went ahead and formatted my hard drive. I was running only one hard drive with an OS, so if there was a virus it would be on there, and a format would solve my problem. I soon found that the problems were persisting, and soon it got so problematic that I couldn't even boot the computer up at all. The first time I would start it it would tell me that my CPU frequencies were badly adjusted before and ask me to reset them. Then I would do that and when I saved and exited, the computer would leave me with a blank screen. Fiddling with the BIOS, I eventually figured out thtat setting the CPU-RAM frequency ratio to 1:1 instead of "auto" let me get farther. Once I had got past the initial boot screen, I was presented with this message:

TRAP 00000006 ==================== EXCEPTION ====================

tr=0028 cr0=00000011 cr2=00000000 cr3=00000000
    gdt limit=03FF base=00017400

cs:eip-0008:00404964 ss:esp=0010:00060E8C errcode=0000
    flags=00010086 NoCy NoZr IntDis Down TrapDis
    eax=00000081 ebx=00000005 ecx=0000A500 edx=00000000 ds=0010 es=0010
    edi=00024548 esi=00000100 ebp=00060EB4 cr0=00000011 fs=0030 gs=0000

As my lingual skills do not cover Taiwanese, in which this message from Asus is obviously written, I was unable to decipher the message being conveyed. However, a few more tweaks in BIOS and I was able to boot as far as Windows. I can't keep it stable for more than thirty to sixty seconds before it restarts once more.

I have formatted the hard drive and come up with no improvement. The problem can be confined to hardware. I have switched out the RAM chips and tried different slots with all kinds of different settings. This has helped me eliminate RAM as a potential source for the problem. The only remaining suspects are the video card, the motherboard, and the PSU. I found another thread somewhere around here that linked to a page telling the user how much juice he needed to flow from his PSU based on his components. Given the hardware in my PC, the site told me I would need 250 watts. I have a three hundred-watt PSU from Zalman, a reliable company that puts out high-quality stuff, or at least dependable stuff. Or at least dependable enough. I don't know how much of an effect the video card would have on a PC in which the problem seems to be pre-OS. I think the problem is in the motherboard. Is there anyone here who can verify this, and perhaps tell me what I might go about doing to repair the problem?

2. jedicmdrwedg

omy

It seems that in the time since I posted this thread the computer has chosen the dark path. After a boot-up, the mouse and keyboard failed me at the Welcome screen. After a restart I was kindly informed that my PC had suffered an unfortunate restart due to some cause or another, and quickly appeared the boot menu. Feeling luvky, I tried normal boot, which the computer took as a signal to restart again. The next time I tried "last good configuration," and upon the failure of that option I attempted "safe mode." None worked.

3. jedicmdrwedg

Now it's telling me my c:/windows/system32/config/system file is "missing or corrupt." I have decided to fix Windows and then not turn the computer on unless someone can present me with a temporary fix before I can replace the broken parts.

4. jedicmdrwedg

Or tell me what the broken parts are.

5. Cell

Cell

what are some of the specs on your computer like os, cpu etc.

6. jedicmdrwedg

Windows XP home
    Athlon 1800+, i've been bouncing the clock speeds all over to try andf get the thing to work but it refuses. stock speed is 1.53GHz, i usually run it at 1.61GHz, since it started acting weird i've run it at 1.15GHz.
    Asus A7V333
    512MB DDR333
    WD 80GB 8MB cache
    ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
    IBM Deskstar 20GB not for the OS thoguh
    Zalman 300W PSU

7. Cell

Cell

i dont know how athlons rate but i am not sure that 300watts is enough for all of that. especially with 2 hdd and such. like i said though i dont know much about athlons so it might be enough.

8. jedicmdrwedg

so far it's run well for a few years, though the second hard drive has only been there for about eight months. stilll, i also have a 550w psu that i don't use because of a problem with the plug, i might try that out. if it works then i would just buy a new psu.

9. Cell

Cell

i would try that out. it might help rule out the psu as the problem.

btw..i like the signature lol

10. Cell

Cell

also you were saying that you have 2 hdd's but only one with the os...does the computer access information off of the other hdd or is it another operating system?

11. jedicmdrwedg

the other hdd is a hard drive i use for downloaded files. i usually delete files over ~200mb or burn them to cd, but the rest are there, so if i need them later i can get them back--old installation files, backups, etc. as of now it's unplugged, a futile attempt at solving the problem. it doesn't hold an os right now.

12. jedicmdrwedg

yeah, it's not the psu. is there any chance it's soemthing besides the motherboard or is taht defintetely the part to replace?

13. Cell

Cell

i have looked around on the net to try to find some material to help us and it seems that alot of ppl suggest reflashing your bios. Do you know what version bios you are using now? also did you try to reset your cmos jumper? (not sure if that will help but its cleared alot of problems for me in the past)

14. jedicmdrwedg

i'm not sure what version, but i'm certain there must be another one out there somewhere. i'm a bit scared of flashing the bios 'cos last time i did that it messed the whole board up, but i suppose it can't really make things much worse than they already are, so yeh.

for some reason i haven't tried clearing the cmos, i'll go do that now and see if it helps. if it doesn't i'll flash the bios.

15. Cell

Cell

keep us posted.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice