1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restart problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toroxx, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toroxx

Toroxx Thread Starter

The problem started when I reformatted my computer. All went smoothly up until I tried to install WoW(World of Warcraft), where it kept getting an error on the third disc. After doing some reading on WoW forums about installation problems, I found a common error was a RAM problem and that I should copy all the install files to the HD, and install from there. I do this, but now the computer restarts about halfway through the installation. (The computer also restarted while browsing the internet trying to install with cd's). The computer did have some problems with restarting when I first got the computer, but then it stopped and never restarted spontaniously again until after the reformation. So far (from advice I found on other similar posts on this website) I've tried changing the RAM frequency to 166mhz, down from 200. I've also tried moving the two sticks of ram around (2x256), from their original position (1 & 3) to slots 1 and 2. This didn't work. Then I tried switching the two sticks, which didn't work either. The next step I'm going to take is to try and put one stick in at a time, in each of the three slots. If that doesn't work, I'm going to grab a stick of ram from my other computer, and try it in the problem computer to see if its a problem with the actual Ram sticks. Anyone have any idea why my computer is randomly restarting (only during the installation of WoW, and while browsing the internet).

The computer has an AMD 3000+ processor (roughly 2.0 ghz I think)
    2x256mb sticks of ram
    and an GeForce MX440, or 4000, or something similar.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am at a complete loss of what to do, aside from more grueling trial by error, which would probably all end in another spontanious restart.

2. Toroxx

Toroxx Thread Starter

Forgot to add that I do get BSOD before the restart occurs.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What does the BSOD read?

Have you checked for overheating?

4. Toroxx

Toroxx Thread Starter

I haven't yet checked for overheating, but I think it would be unlikely since it restarts as early as 10 minutes after being turned on, and I have 2 case fans, I will check however.

The BSOD says all the standard stuff about if problem resumes reboot in safe mode, turn off caching and shadowing, I'm not sure what the exact error read (ie: all the wierd numbers and letters, however I could get those too if they're needed)

5. ~Candy~

Overheating can start as early as startup ;)

And yes, it would be nice to have the unhappy BSOD message ;) Sometimes it points to the exact problem.

6. Toroxx

Toroxx Thread Starter

okay, the BSOD message read:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONEPAGED_AREA

and at the bottom said:

*** Stop: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFFF, 0x00000000, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0x00000000)

Upon startup the temperatures were:

MB: 27oC.
    CPU: 52oC.

Maybe when the install starts the CPU temperature goes up and causes an automatic shutdown?

7. Toroxx

Toroxx Thread Starter

Are there any programs you can download to test if your hardware is overheating?

8. ~Candy~

That stop error code is usually associated with bad ram.

I run an Intel chip, and I don't like to see it anywhere near 50C. I do know that AMD chips run hotter....so if that is just a startup temp, you may want to keep an eye on it once you put a load on it. When it shuts down, can you auto restart or do you have to wait a while?

9. Toroxx

Toroxx Thread Starter

I can auto restart. It just BSOD's and sits there until I restart it (I turned off the auto-restart upon BSOD function)

How can I keep an eye on the CPU temp without going into the bios? Is there any way to check temperature while running windows?

10. ~Candy~

There are some programs that 'supposedly' monitor the temperatures. I saw one a few days ago report a temp of -94C, so I'm not sure how accurate many are. Some motherboards come with a temp monitoring program, my MSI board did. I want to say that the temps it showed were pretty close.

If I suspect something is up with temps, I usually try to run the system for a bit, then do a restart, pop into the bios and have a peek at the temps.

You might also try running it with the case off, and perhaps a house fan blowing through. If it doesn't do the same thing, it's probably overheating.

My bet is still on bad ram though.

11. ETS

ETS

If your RAM checks out ok, then if possible you might try another video card. Bad video ram can also cause that error message.

12. Toroxx

Toroxx Thread Starter

Thanks for suggestions, one final question, is there any way to check if it's bad ram without trying to run the computer with different ram sticks?

13. ~Candy~

There is a ram test program that can be downloaded. I don't have a link at the moment, but if no one posts it, google ram test.

I always swap chips. It is possible that both may be bad. Just had two die on me at the same time :mad:

14. Toroxx

Toroxx Thread Starter

Well, I tried running the PC with the cover off, so far no restarts. So it must have been the CPU overheating. Thanks for the help those who helped. So for future ideas? Should I try to turn up the speed of the fans? Get more fans? Or just leave the cover off?

15. ~Candy~

I'd suggest replacing the compound between the heat sink and the cpu. There may be too much or not enough, or it may be very old.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/448457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice