Restart problems after attemptint to burn DVD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jeefunk

I was burning a DVD on my roommate's computer and the DVD burner quit doing anything about halfway through it. I click cancel, wait a few minutes, nothing happens. I close the program through the task manager, I get nothing. After waiting a couple more minutes, I press and hold the power button on the tower. Anywho, I restart the computer and it takes me to this screen here:

What's wrong? Help :confused: BTW, no hardware has been installed/uninstalled since he bought the computer.

FWIW, I'm fairly familiar with Windows, but not too great with this kind of stuff.

Will the computer boot in safe mode?
Dumb question, but have you removed the DVD from the burner and tried to reboot?

jeefunk

Sequal7 said:
Will the computer boot in safe mode?
Dumb question, but have you removed the DVD from the burner and tried to reboot?
Yea, I tried rebooting in safe mode. It listed a bunch of filepaths, then eventually went back to that same screen.

Yes, I removed the DVD.

Can you also try last know good configuration option in the boot menu?
If that doesnt work, do you have an XP cd handy?

jeefunk

Sequal7 said:
Can you also try last know good configuration option in the boot menu?
If that doesnt work, do you have an XP cd handy?
Tried that, goes back to the same screen. Currently searching for XP cd. In the meantime, what do I do if I find it? What can I do if I can't find it?

If you find it boot from the cd and access the recovery console. (This is the first repair option you get after you boot off the Windows XP CD
Unfortunately some OEM CD's (Or recovery CD's) do not have this option so you will need a bootable XP cd.

Once you log into the recovery console type the following command
Code:
chkdsk /f
NOTICE THE SPACE between the chkdsk and the /f
Once the scan is complete then reboot the computer. You should be able to log into Windows.

jeefunk

I don't think I/he has one. We both have Dells, would that CD come with a Dell? And is there anything I can do without that CD?

It may have come with your dell. It will say dell recovery cd on it if you have one.
Can you access the recovery partition on boot?

Not really anything you can do without it, it is usually a corrupted system file and you need to run a disk check, unfortuantley you need to access the recovery console to run it.

EDIT:
You could try the xp disk set, downlaod and copy the six disk set to floppies, then reboot with disk 1 and see if you can access the recovery console. I dont know if it will work or not.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];310994

jeefunk

Sequal7 said:
It may have come with your dell. It will say dell recovery cd on it if you have one.

Not really anything you can do without it, it is usually a corrupted system file and you need to run a disk check, unfortuantley you need to access the recovery console to run it.
Well that sucks. I'll keep digging. Thanks for your help!

Might call Dell support and see if they can do anything for me

jeefunk

i just noticed something, you asked if I could access the recovery partition on boot. I don't know what that is.

If you did not get a XP CD, then most manufacturers create a recovery partition. When your computer is booting, you should see a press <key> to access recovery, if not try <Ctrl><F11> to access recovery as it is booting, do this when you see the blue bar across the screen with the dell logo.

See if there is a recovery console in there, if so run the chkdsk /f

jeefunk

I hit ctrl + F11 and it gave me a screen to either reboot or restore, so I clicked reboot and let it get to that screen again so I could turn it off. I restarted and hit F12 to get to a boot menu and there's a utility partition. Is that what you were talking about?

Please do not recover )restore) your system with the hidden partition unless its an absolute last resort, we are only trying to see if it has the ability to run a disk check. I am not sure that it will, but I do know it will restore your computer to its original shipped state.

Im sorry I cant be of more help, Heres a really good read on why not to buy a dell.

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTI0LDc= With alot of persistence you can get dell to send you out an OS disk. Look near the end of this story, they got one shipped.

If you can get an XP cd, try the repair i listed, otherwise you may need to do a full rollback with the recovery partition.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online