1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restart Recycles Several Times Before Success

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ldkamb, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ldkamb

ldkamb Thread Starter

The PC is an HP Pavillion with 512 RAM, 200 Gig HD. XP Home, SP2, all is updated and works just fine EXCEPT about every few reboots, the dumb thing goes from the BIOS setup options screen to the Windows with the moving blue dashes and then back to the BIOS setup options screen, then to the black and white screen with various boot up options including Safe Mode, etc. It will go into safe mode but when told to restart it cycles back to the BIOS setup options, then Windows loading, then bios options, etc. After several retries to boot up, it finally does it right and all is well, but it takes prayer or crossing fingers to get it to happen. Has this happened to anyone before - and if so, how was it solved?

2. happyrck

happyrck

first thing is to backup anything you can't live without...just in case...if nobody else has any idea's..we can try a repair on windows...but it may be in the bios...I have never come across this before

3. ldkamb

ldkamb Thread Starter

All is backed up. One of the options on the BIOS option screen is to F-10 Restore. Because I could not get beyond it, I did Restore and it replaced XP with an earlier version. I then updated it through numerous reboots (no problems during these reboots). Now that all is working fine, it starts the cycling of these first few screens. The BIOS has never been changed since I got it about a year ago. It ran for most of that time with no issues. This is a recent development.

4. happyrck

happyrck

at what update did the problem reappear

5. ldkamb

ldkamb Thread Starter

Apparently it occured during the last update (of about a dozen) since there was no cycling during any of them but there is now. Just a note, I continue to select the Last Known good configuration and it finally rebooted successfully all the way to the desktop. Everything works but I am terrified to turn it off or have to reboot for some update, etc.

6. happyrck

happyrck

I would turn off system restore...to get rid of any of the "bad" restore points...then turn it back on again and create a new restore point named something like ( works now) and then try to reboot...still works...install a couple of updates..play for awhile...everything still works ...reboot ....still no problems ..create another restore point...you get the idea...just do a couple at a time and if you have a problem with one just use restore to go back

7. ldkamb

ldkamb Thread Starter

happyrck,

Took your advice and it seems to have done the trick. Now have 5 known good restore points in the bank. Thanks for your help. Will let you know if it starts misbehaving again.

8. happyrck

happyrck

(y) (y)

your welcome...please come back and mark this tab as SOLVED so if someone else has the same problem they can find what worked without having to start a new thread..it also saves time for the people that help solve the problems by not wasting time looking at something thats already solved..consider making a donation to TSG to help offset the costs of maintaining this helpful site...thanks

Mark solved using THREAD TOOLS drop down menu

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice