1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restarting endlessly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metadragon39, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Metadragon39

Metadragon39 Thread Starter

I have a HP envy 700-049 Core i7 12gb ram Radeon 8570 HD gpu. i put a new gpu (Radeon r9 380 4G) in and turned it on. It started and gave me the blue screen with the :( error. It would then restart and show the same error. After trying to repair it, I put the old gpu back I made sure all the wires were still connected and turned it back on. I gained access to the bios and made a full factory reset of the computer restoring it to Windows 8. It was a black screen my back lit keyboard turned on but not the num lock light still endlessly restarting. I then took out the old gpu and left it empty and turned it unplugged the video cable from the internal gpu while it was on and let it reset after 4-6 times I would plug it back in and let it restart a few times. About 25% of the time it would boot to Windows and everything would be fine. But if I turned it off I would have to go through unplugging it waiting and chancing it every time it turned off.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP ENVY 700-049 Desktop PC(H5P27AA)
    It was introduced in June 2013 and sold in Canada and came with Windows 8 64-bit.
    It came with an AMD Radeon HD 8570 graphics card which uses 50W.
    It came with a 460W power supply(unknown brand name and model number).

The AMD Radeon R9 380 graphics card uses 190W.
    It appears to require a "minimum" of a 500W power supply, but 850W or more is recommended.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Metadragon39

It still doesn't explain why it's not turning on after I took the you out

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'll pass to one of the hardware/gaming experts here to further address your issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. Metadragon39

I plan to buy a bigger power supply in the near future

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have already done the troubleshooting you have posted, there really is only one explanation; you damaged something while working inside the case. That or just knocked something loose. Go back and recheck your work AND make sure you reseat ALL pw connectors to the mb ie atx and aux pw connectors. From the pic of the mb on the support page, it does not look like there is an aux pw connector however do check and reseat all pw connectors.

Just my opinion however trying to upgrade a hp, dell or other big box system is an exercise in futility. Big box systems just do not have the quality parts necessary for a gaming system ie heavy duty cooling, heavy duty capacitors/voltage regulators, etc. If you want a gaming system, then either build one or have a local shop do the build for you.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Make sure your local shop:
    a: is not a big chain shop with untrained?? experts.
    b: they know it is going to be heavily used for gaming.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1165343

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice