1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restarting PC driving me mad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Riempie, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Riempie

Riempie Thread Starter

I have a AMD XP1700 cpu on a Asus A7N266VM Motherboard with 256 mb ram running XP Proffesional.
    Everythin was running fine but lately when playing a game the pc restarted by itself.Now the pc even began restarting when writing cd's and even when just browsing with explorer.

I checked the cpu temperature when it restarted but that was fine.
    What could cause this strange behaviour and how do I correct this ??

2. zeddy

zeddy

Have you checked in system tools, system info, Dr Watson what errors are being logged?

3. Riempie

Riempie Thread Starter

Dr Watson did not find anything unusual.

4. Riempie

Riempie Thread Starter

I forgot to say that I dual boot wth Win98. It seems the restarting only occur in Win98 and not as much in WinXP

5. zeddy

zeddy

In win98 is there anything showing up in device manager - i.e IRQ sharing devices such as USB, video card etc.

In the bios are you using non PnP operating system?

6. Firah

Firah

Since it's happening in both OS, then it's likely a hardware problem. Faulty RAM could be one cause.

Run http://www.memtest86.com/

though swapping out the memory is a more certain determination, in my opinion.

Also, in Win XP, uncheck 'Automatically restart' in system properties> advanced> Startup & Recovery. The error message that appears instead of it shutting down might give you a clue.

7. Riempie

Riempie Thread Starter

Did swop the ram with new ones but it is still happening.
    The restarting mostly occur in win 98 and not in WinXp

8. Firah

Firah

Next I would focus on the power supply. Can you swap it out with a known good one?

You could test it also, but that has to be done when it's connected, which will be more troublesome.

9. zeddy

zeddy

Can you try the "software" questions - Firah I dont follow the logic of it being a hardware issue if it is not happening in both OS.

10. Firah

Firah

zeddy, I was trying to eliminate hardware causes, while you were covering the software angle, clutching at his statements of 'not as much in WinXP', and 'mostly occur in win 98.

I may be wrong, of course, but let's hear what Riempie has to say. :)

11. PlUc

PlUc

i had the same problem.system kept shutting down i downloaded a fix..the name of it is WINDOWSXP-KB823980-X86-ENU.....it worked for me

12. zeddy

zeddy

A worm virus patch fixed the problem?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice