1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restarts with a Compaq Presario S6020wm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brite750, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

I'm taking a look at a pc problem for a friend of my son, so far HW wise it seems ok, I cleaned and remounted the cpu/hsf with AS5 so it should be happy.
    I can run the pc with Puppy Linux CD all day so its not a heat or PSU or RAM issue.
    I ran a WD diag on it and it passed with no problems, so it doesnt seem to be a hdd issue.
    OK well the problem is when you get to the log in screen it just reboots over and over again, not even giving you enough time ot sign in.
    I can go into safe mode but windows is messed up bad, cant access any drives, when i go to start>programs, it says empty:eek: seems to lock up and acts unresponsive.
    I'm assuming at this point that windows is messed up either by virus/trojan/hijacker, etc. or by major user error., My son said something about the internet being messed up and getting a lot of popups etc.
    Because its an HP/Compaq I'm thinking of doing either a non-destructive sys restore or maybe trying to get to a windows restore point, any other ideas out there.
    BTW of course there are no restore disks, so i would either have to make them off the pc or order them from Compaq, I'm hoping the built in restore partitions didnt get damaged.

2. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

bump it, bump it good

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice