1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoration incomplete

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mcurley, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcurley

mcurley Thread Starter

For the past week or so when I start my PC I get a message Restoration incomplete and a note that System restore could not restore to that time (the time of the boot) and This restoration is incomplete. It was interrupted by an improper shutdown. I have not done a system restore in the past few weeks. I set a new restore point and this loads up at the reboot stage but the next reboot gives the same error.

There are many threads on the internet and I have tried them all. I do not have Norton. I turn off system restore but get the same error. I even reinstalled windowsXP ( on top of existing) in the hope it would rectify corrupt files bit still the same thing. The waring suggests going back to previous restore point but this doesn't work. If I just close the waring everything seems to work normally.

Also after this at start up the system configuration Utility opens suggesting a start up change has occurred but this was not initiated by me.

I have performed on line virus check using Trend as well as Avast which I have on PC and these find no virus.

Any suggestions other than a clean reformat/install greatly appreciated.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Does the problem occur if you use Safe Mode?

If no, it sometime in the startup causing the problem. Run MSCONFIG and uncheck all startup items and see if the problem reoccurs. If it does not you can add back one item at a time and boot to find which item is causing the problem.

Good luck.

3. mcurley

mcurley Thread Starter

Thanks for reply. I think it must be a start up problem. It does the same thing in Safe Mode. I unchecked all the boxes in MSCONFIG start up and applied. Upon rebooting I found all the unchecked boxes were ticked again with one exception which had applied the change. That was CMIRMR~1. I did this twice to make sure I had done it correct before replying to you.

4. mcurley

mcurley Thread Starter

Also just observed that after opening in safe mode when problem still exists I reboot to normal mode and error not there. However system configuration utility still gives warning changes have been made. Next reboot the error warning is back.

5. Dan O

Dan O

There is a checkbox you can select to stop the warning from showing.

6. mcurley

mcurley Thread Starter

I know and I tick the check box but the system configuration utility waring still comes up at reboot just after the restoration incomplete warning message.
    For your interest I use Ad-watch and the start up log keeps showing registry modifications. The last log is attached

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice