1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restore backup image of Linux to partition- no boot?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by erg57, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. erg57

erg57 Thread Starter

I dual boot XP and Linux Mepis. Linux is on a bootable partition on second HDD. I use Acronis Disk Director to dual boot these two OS. For the record, the linux GRUB is installed on /root and not on my MBR since Acronis Disk Director handles my dual boot. XP is my default OS

I made a backup image of my linux partition (partition only, not entire second hdd) using Maxblast5 (quasi-oem version of Acronis True Image for Maxtor hdd) and tried to restore it back to its original partition. The partition image was restored just fine, but I could not boot to it afterward. Acronis Disk Director OS selector could not find the Linux partition either even though Acronis Disk Director recognized the restored partition. I uninstalled and re-installed Acronis Disk Director and the OS selector and this did not help me boot Linux

Is there a quick fix for this boot after I recover backed up Linux images? I don’t think my Acronis boot loader is the culprit; I think my image restore process is. The restore must write over something or it does not recover the GRUB properly.

Any solutions for restoring backed up linux partitions to their original places on hdd without losing boot?

2. erg57

erg57 Thread Starter

I fixed it. All I had to do to get the restored image to boot was to reboot with Live Linux CD and install GRUB to /root and then reactivate my Acronis OS selector to re-recognize the GRUB on this partition. After this I was back to dual booting

3. RobLinux

RobLinux

The very early stage GRUB code, has to know which blocks contain it's code for stage2 which understands the file system structure. In old days, after kernel updates and initrd changes you had to remember to run lilo, so it could update it's map of kernel & ramdisk blocks. The MBR code, just knows how to boot an active partition, or load a boot laoder in the MBR.

Next time you install a box, create a small boot partion, that's about 64MB to contain the kernel, initrd's and the GRUB boot loader. Then you will be able to move '/' around without any problems even with linux utilities and proprietary tools like Acronis'es. You can even create backup boot partitions to guard against accidents, or to roll back a kernel update that fails to boot for some reason on your hardware.

With this set up, you can create boot menu's very easily in grub itself, and distro's make nice spash screens, so you could ditch Disk Director completely and have something, that you can use on any system, whether you have disk image software or not.

4. saikee

saikee

I prefer using a Live CD to rescue any Lilo and Grub. Why bother to create another partition to save guard the kernel and boot loader? They will not fly away from any /boot directory of a Linux.

Any Live CD will do.

5. RobLinux

RobLinux

Because restoring a borked kernel delivered via rpm, is a pain in the butt, when you're on a Live CD, and it doesn't protect you from bad kernel upgrades, or screw ups typing stuff into wrong window (and affecting the wrong machine).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!