1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restore cd and saving files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by NotRite, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NotRite

NotRite Thread Starter

My Mother has forgotten her pw to log into her pc. She has taken it to the store she bought it from and they told her that she is going to have to buy, I guess a recovery cd in able to restore her pc so that she can use it. I understand this and know it will work. 1st question is ...is there a way around the pw issue? 2nd question....If she uses the restore cd, will she lose all her files?

2. NotRite

NotRite Thread Starter

just a bump

3. aparis99

aparis99

4. NotRite

NotRite Thread Starter

thanks aparis for your reply

gonna bump this one more time in hopes of someone having another answer.

Thanks again.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

This site doesn't help with password issues. Whether or not files are lost depends on the type of restore you do. I would suggest you take the hard drive out, connect it to another computer, and copy off important files.

6. NotRite

NotRite Thread Starter

Thanks Double. I understand why it's not necessarily a good thing to help with password issues. Didn't think about that when I posted.. My mom's pc is a laptop and I have only ever taken 1 apart and didn't do a good job of that. The construction...or should I say de-construction worker came out in me. LOL

7. mrjsmith

mrjsmith

[inappropriate advice deleted by mod]

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    mrjsmith,

Even if you neglected to read the rules to which you agreed when you joined you could have saved yourself some embarrassment by reading the other posts in this thread. Or maybe you did not understand DH's "This site doesn't help with password issues."? I've now had to edit 3 of your first 5 posts, so maybe you will want to review the rules soon.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can save files by booting to a "rescue CD." I suggest Puppy Linux, as it is relatively small and easy to use.

By the way, on at least some laptops the hard drive can be removed rather easily (and safely) and put in a USB enclosure for connecting to another computer. But my preference would be as above.

The computer probably came with a Recovery partition. Have you checked to see if you can boot into it? Was a set of Recovery DVDs or CDs made? If 'no' to both questions then buying Recovery DVDs from the manufacturer is your least expensive option.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice