1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restore context menu with editing the registry

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jomili, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jomili

jomili Thread Starter

Easy problem, easy fix, except for me. Whenever I click a folder in Windows Explorer to open it, the Search Results window appears rather than a listing of the contents of the folder. If I right-click the folder, the context menu shows Search as the top listing above Open. If I click Open, the contents of the folder will appear. This is a result of me fooling with a Printdir.bat method of adding the printing of the contents of a folder in Explorer to the right-click menu. All over the internet I see a solution, which is to edit the Registry, but I'm in a protected environment and can't edit the registry. Is there another solution?

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

3. jomili

jomili Thread Starter

Problem; I can't download zipped files or exe's (blocked). Another solution?

4. throoper

Apparently this is not your computer.
    You'll have to talk to whoever has administrator rights to get it fixed.

5. jomili

jomili Thread Starter

Right, it's a work computer. I've already talked to our help desk, who wasn't able to resolve the problem, so they're called in the next tier, but they haven't responded yet.

But if I, without Admin rights, was able to cause the problem, why can't I fix it?

6. throoper

Does seem a little foolish on the part of whoever set things up that you can run BAT files but can't download a zip file.
    Usually in work environments people zip and send documents and such all the time. How on earth can you function if zips are blocked?

If you can create and run a BAT, you might be able to create and run a REG.

Copy and paste the code below into a Notepad.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    @="none"
    On the Notepad, click File>Save as...

Name it DirectoryDefault.reg and save it to your desktop. Be sure it saves as a REG file and not a TXT.

Assuming you can create the REG, double click it to run it. Merge the data to the Registry when prompted.

7. jomili

jomili Thread Starter

Nice try, but no go. I copied your text, saved as a .reg (not .txt) to desktop, doubleclicked to run. I got a message saying:
    Code:
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

8. throoper

I'm afraid you're at the mercy of your IT guy or someone with permission to modify the Registry.

9. jomili

jomili Thread Starter

That's what I figure, too. I guess I'll just have to put up with until I get a response. Thanks for trying.

10. throoper

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    When you get someone with the right permissions, all they need to do is run the Reg files I posted to fix the problem.
    The Directory fix should do it, but the Folder key can also have a similar effect so I usually run that as well.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!