1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restore disk failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bumples, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bumples

bumples Thread Starter

I am using windows Xp.

I have my system restore disks(4 of), which I made recently (within last 6 months). Yesterday I decided to use them to restore my Packard Bell IMEDIA H1509 to it's original state.

I put The 1st disk in, rebooted, waited for ages for the "format" to begin, but instead I get a mesage;-

Invalid System Disk, replace then press any key, BUT, I get this message regardless of which disk is in the drive (1 - 4). I have even tried using my Win XP disk, my hubby's recovery disk for his Advent, which didn't work either. I get this message even when the cd drive is empty.

I have checked the bios and everything looks the same as always, I did try altering the boot sequence, cd drive first then back again to hard drive first, albsolutely no difference.

Desparate for any help, as soon as possible, as it's my lifeline.

Thanks in advance.
    Bumples

2. bumples

bumples Thread Starter

3. speed_hog

speed_hog

bumples, welcome to TSG
    Remove the hard drive, set the jumper to slave and put it into another PC and see if it works and if you can see your personal files and then of course back them up to CD-DVD.
    If the hard drive will not work then it is most likely dead and thus the problem.
    It also could be your CD drive is bad can you pull one from another PC and try it or vis versa?
    You could try unplugging all cables and reinserting them to make sure they are all connected completely.

*If the PC that you put the hard drive in has the jumper set to CS; cable select, then you need to use that option as well and put the master at the end of the ide cable and slave in the middle.

4. bumples

bumples Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. I have tried your advice, but unfortunately the HD is completely duffed. Cd is fine - thankfully. Will sort out a new HD tomorrow or Monday.

Honestly didn't think anyone would respond - so thank you very very much. Will keep myself involved.

Thanks again(y)

5. speed_hog

speed_hog

:) if you have any questions just ask, may not always be this quick but we try :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!