1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

restore disk/ full version of win 98

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chewie1012, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

I have an hp with windows 95. It came with a restore disk. I bought an upgrade disk but have lost it. I have an oem copy of win 98. It doesnt seem to want to load though. Is there something in the bios that keeps me from using a full version of win 98?

2. Crylynx

Crylynx

Hello, are you formatting your hard drive also to do a clean install of 98.

3. chewie1012

I would like to. I thought I had tried this in the past and it didn't want to take the disk for some reason.

4. Crylynx

Crylynx

Are you using a 98 boot disk. You have to set your bios to boot from floppy first, with the boot disk and cd in the drive, reboot your computer. Pick option two when it boots from floppy, wait for it to load its files. Then when done it should show just A: representing your floppy. Type D: representing your cd. At the D: prompt type D:\ cd win98 then enter or D:\ cd wind 98 then enter. If accepted then type D:\ win98>format C: then enter. Might have to type wind again instead of win. When done formating leave in cd and boot disk. Restart computer when promted pick option 1 and follow the instructions from there.

Hope this gets you up and running clean:)

**CRYLYNX**

5. chewie1012

Thanks Crylynx!

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

When you write "it doesn't seem to want to load", what exactly are you doing and exactly what is happening? From what you have written, I have no idea whether you are even placing the CD into the CD-ROM drive. I'm sure you are; but, you aren't telling us anything that we can work with.

7. chewie1012

My problem is I can't remember if I had a formatted drive or if I was trying to upgrade using an oem disk. What I am not telling you is I have loaded win 98- formatted hard drives dozens of times. I may have tried to load win 98 like an upgrade. I am going to have to format the hard drive and try to load windows fresh. I just thought I had done this and it wouldn't work. It seemed like there was something in the bios written by hp that only allowed me to use the restore disk.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice