1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restore does not restore to an earlier date

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kcdog, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kcdog

kcdog Thread Starter

I have Windows XP and cannot restore to an earlier date. Anybody know why? Thanks.

2. tony007

tony007 Banned

I think there is a fault in system restore which microsoft will not admit to I hardly ever use it anymore as it tends to let you down when you treally need it. I now use erunt which is free and can be got from here http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

3. Claymore

Claymore

System Restore points are all "chained' together, so that if one fails, they're all no good for Restore purposes. Your only option is the delete them and start over:

System Restore - delete all Restore Points

Right-click on My Computer and click on 'Properties'
    Click on the 'System Restore' tab to open the System Restore configuration window.
    Check the box 'Turn off System Restore on all drives'.
    Restart the computer. This will delete all previous Restore Points.
    If you want to re-enable System Restore, go back to the System Restore configuration window.
    Uncheck the box 'Turn off System Restore on all drives'.
    Exit the configuration window and open System Restore.
    Create a Restore Point

As a check, you can restart the computer to see if the single Restore Point will Restore.
    If you do, and it does restore successfully, but you want to revert to the original state, restart System Restore and select to Undo the last Restore Point.

p.s. Heartily agree with the use of ERUNT. Although not as comprehensive as System Restore (it's a Registry backup), it has saved my bacon on many occasions, and with the right tool, can even restore a Registry when the computer can't be booted to Windows.

4. kcdog

kcdog Thread Starter

Sounds good, I will try to delete the restore points first and see if that lets me restore. If not, I will download ERUNT. Thank you for your help.

5. Claymore

Claymore

Sounds like a plan. I would recommend that you get ERUNT anyway, as a "belt and braces" precaution.

Regards

6. tony007

tony007 Banned

You're welcome, but as I said even when system restore is fixed the fault will re-occur eventually.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice