Restore does not restore to an earlier date

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kcdog

I have Windows XP and cannot restore to an earlier date. Anybody know why? Thanks.

System Restore points are all "chained' together, so that if one fails, they're all no good for Restore purposes. Your only option is the delete them and start over:

System Restore - delete all Restore Points

Right-click on My Computer and click on 'Properties'
Click on the 'System Restore' tab to open the System Restore configuration window.
Check the box 'Turn off System Restore on all drives'.
Restart the computer. This will delete all previous Restore Points.
If you want to re-enable System Restore, go back to the System Restore configuration window.
Uncheck the box 'Turn off System Restore on all drives'.
Exit the configuration window and open System Restore.
Create a Restore Point

As a check, you can restart the computer to see if the single Restore Point will Restore.
If you do, and it does restore successfully, but you want to revert to the original state, restart System Restore and select to Undo the last Restore Point.

p.s. Heartily agree with the use of ERUNT. Although not as comprehensive as System Restore (it's a Registry backup), it has saved my bacon on many occasions, and with the right tool, can even restore a Registry when the computer can't be booted to Windows.

kcdog

Sounds good, I will try to delete the restore points first and see if that lets me restore. If not, I will download ERUNT. Thank you for your help.

Sounds like a plan. I would recommend that you get ERUNT anyway, as a "belt and braces" precaution.

Regards

tony007

Banned
You're welcome, but as I said even when system restore is fixed the fault will re-occur eventually.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online