1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

restore-no-more!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pfishkattt, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfishkattt

pfishkattt Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3874 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1873 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 584878 MB, Free - 546172 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., K53E, 1.0 , BSN12345678901234567
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

unable to complete a successful system restore. get error message that system restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.so far i've deleted my old restore points, manually created two new restore points, turned avast and windows firewall off; i've tried restore in safe mode, and i've failed doing everything. help!! i'm totally frazzled at this point - i've been at it for two days with no success. Help, please!!! thanks in advance!

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

As you have already deleted all your old Restore Points and created new ones you won't achieve anything by using them as it will only revert the system settings and registry back to when the Restore Point was created (even if it did work).

What problems are you having that promted you to use System Restore.

3. pfishkattt

my scrolling on my synaptics touch pad was out of order, so i uninstalled and then reinstalled the drivers, and it was ok. i'm just concerned that i won't be able to restore to an earlier point if i encounter future problems. help, please !!

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Type Services in Start Menu Search Box, hit Enter. Make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy Service is Running and set on Automatic. If the Status of the Volume Shadow Copy Service is not Started, Start it. This service is needed for System Restore to work corectly.

Next, follow this guide to disable System Restore Disable System Restore Windows 7 then reboot the PC and follow the guide again to re-enable System Restore for your main drive. This will clean out all restore points.

Now to test it create a restore point then delete any small item of software that you can easily reinstall if this doesn't work. Then use System Restore to go back before the uninstall and see if it works.

As you had already figured you should keep Anti Virus and Firewall turned of during the use of System Restore when going back to an earlier point.

5. pfishkattt

can't find Status of System Restore Service! the other one is on automatic.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no "System Restore Service", so you will not be able to start it.

But you can disable SR and then reboot before trying to create a new point.

But System Restore is not a complete backup and does not restore your entire installation. It only resores the registry and Windows components. For a comlete and reliable backup, and one that you will be able to use to restore everything when your hard drive fails, you should make periodic disk images on another drive (or DVD's). You can use an image to bring everything back so no files, programs, or settings will be lost.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving):

Paragon Backup & Recovery
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

There are also many commercial products with more features.

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

I'm so sorry I have made a typing error, now edited.

8. pfishkattt

thanks to all!!!!!!! i cleaned out my old restore points, so now i'm waiting for an update to see if i've fixed the problem. btw, ran sfc /scannow, and it fixed some corrupted files, but it also left some unfixed. any suggestions?

9. pfishkattt

also tried creating setpoint, and then deleting malwarebytes. did system restore, but still received error "system restore has failed to extract the original folders of the directory from source". i'm sorry to be a bother, but i've been working on this for days. i really appreciate all of your help!!

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

May be the files that sfc /scannow could not repair have something to do with this.

You could try running it again and if that still fails then try a Repair Install, but you will need a Windows 7 OS disc in order to do that and you will first have to uninstall SP1 if it is not integrated into the disc.

Have you had any Virus infections on this PC? I am just wondering why or how your file system has been damaged.

It might be worthwhile running a disk check as well.

11. pfishkattt

tried chkdsk, but it turned "off" so fast before windows loaded normally, that i couldn't read it. therefore, i don't know what it found! i have a dumb question. the only restore points i have established are an undo, and an automatic restore point. can i restore to either of these, or must i wait for a windows update? i'm wondering whether i can even use these restore points successfully, and that's why they are failing with the error message that system restore has failed to extract the original folders of the directory from source(paraphrased). needless to say, my last restore after the chkdsk failed with that same error message. thanks for all of your patience and help!

12. Mark1956

Mark1956

Something is not right on your system, the disk check routine should run for quite some time, about an hour for a 150GB drive. Just so I am clear on what happened, did the disk check start to run when you rebooted, but it was over in a flash?

13. pfishkattt

no, it ran successfully, about 2 hours(for a 640 gig) it's just that i didn't have time to read the status for the chkdsk phase 5. but it did run successfully. i'm just wondering if system restore can restore to an "undo" restore point or an "automatic" restore point since these are the only two restore points i have. i'm just wondering if that's part of the problem with my restore points and the resultant error message. btw, thanks for the prompt reply!!

14. Mark1956

Mark1956

I'm not that clear on what you are looking at. Click on Start then Control Panel and select System. Under the System Protection tab click on System Restore then click on Next. Post a screenshot of that Window. This is the list of available Restore Points.

To get the log for chkdsk go to Start - type in eventvwr.msc into the search box and hit enter.
    When Event Viewer opens, click on "Application", then scroll down to "Winlogon" and double-click on it to open it up.
    This is the log created after running chkdsk. Click on the icon that looks like two pieces of paper to copy it and then paste it here please.

Next step would be to follow this guide, some of the things suggested you have already done but I would follow the whole guide, there is a .bat file to download which may help. Windows 7 System Restore troubleshooting guide

Do you have a Windows 7 OS disc to run a Repair Install as if all else fails that may be the only remaining option. You can use a borrowed disc but it must be 64bit and have SP1 included. If it does not have SP1 you can still use it but you will have to first uninstall SP1 from the PC.

15. pfishkattt

ran an OS restore, and everything is ok now. thanks for all of your wonderful advice and patience. you guys rock!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice