1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

restore pc

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by conlo, May 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

A few months ago I restored my desktop pc in the hopes of being able to get my echo dot installed. I did not, so I contacted Webroot , my protector. I told them that I did do a restore and still had problems . They said that the restore does not clean your pc and that you still can have internet corrupt files. Any way I paid them $300.00 to clean my pc, and still had problems installing echo dot. I was then referred to Amazon tech who shared my pc and showed me a certain page that showed many errors. Now my question is , does restoring your pc to factory condition do just that. In other words does a restore clean your pc or not ??

2. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

What is this page that shows your errors and how do I get to it ??

3. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

The page that shows the errors that is on your pc , what is it called and how do you get to it ??

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by "restore"? If you mean to use the Recovery Partition or a set of Recovery DVDs (3) or CDs (about 2 dozen) to "recover to factory defaults" then you could say that it "cleans" the Windows partition. Other partitions should not be touched.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, they cleaned your wallet and protected it from getting too fat! :(

6. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

I am talking about restoring your system where you back up all the files you want to keep and when the restore is done you start from scratch and load back all the programs you want . They claim that this will bring your pc back to factory condition. The tech from Webroot says it does not completely clean the pc , and that you still may intertnet viruses.
    Another question in my mind is will replacing the hard drive give you a clean pc ??

7. jmatt

jmatt

It depends what infected you, if all your info has been stolen, no.
    You then need to change all your passwords & email address's etc.
    How to Tell If You Have Been Hacked
    https://pixelprivacy.com/resources/have-you-been-hacked/
    5 Signs Your Computer Was Hacked!
    https://whatismyipaddress.com/signs-hacked

If none of the above apply, I would do a clean install of Windows this way, using your existing hard drive.
    Make sure you have backups of all your important stuff ( including your address book )

During the install, delete all the partitions, keep hitting Delete until Delete & Format are greyed out. You are then left with Unallocated.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!