1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

restore points: need one OLDER than list

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by unstresst, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

Vista home basic-(32)

How would I get to a restore point that's older than the ones on the list?

I wasn't aware I had this @#%$& malfunction for about 3 weeks.
    by the time I figured out I needed system restore, there's no points old enough to get me back to the pre-malfunction state.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You cannot.
    Windows allocates by default - in Vista - 15% of disk space to system restore.
    You can change this amount.
    See this
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76227-system-restore-disk-space.html

However if yours is set at the default, then depending of course on the size of your hard drive, the error must have been present for sometime, unless you have during disk cleanup selected the More Options tab and deleted all restore points except the most recent.

If you provide some more details of the error, when it occurs and what message exactly is displayed we may be able to assist further.

3. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

LOST my whole reply i posted 20 minutes ago..........how? why?
    now after posting THIS reply, my attatched pics vanished.......what gives?
    i've uploaded them to a photo hosting site and provided links to them
    what's going to vanish or come up incomplete when i click 'submit reply this time?
    not going to replicate it now.
    suffice it to say some program setups will work and some won't.
    one of my favorites, google chrome wont install
    after cliking on the setup.exe the first time it crashed and left the error message seen in image 'chrome set up crash'
    image seen here: it takes a whole minute of waiting before they display the pic, but here's the link:
    http://www.zshare.net/image/966508769b49567e/

the second attempt "run as administrater" crashed too, but left a different error message.... seen in this image--[same wait as above]t: 'googleupdatesetup' link to image: http://www.zshare.net/image/96651109a5a6b580/

4. Macboatmaster

Please post the make and full mdel of the computer.

Go start (Windows button)
    in search type
    msinfo32

On the window that opens on System Summary, click the edit tab, click select all, click copy, paste to wordpad

Go back to System Information and expand components, then expand storage and click drives.
    Do the same please on edit etc.

Please send those results as a Copy and paste of the actual page, not as a file that I have to open.

I am sorry, but I am not going to open your images, I am sure you will understand, we will progress no doubt to them later.

After you have sent me those results while I look at them please run a chkdsk /r either from the GUI in Computer, right click C drive, click Properties, click Tools, Error checking, click to check both boxes.
    OR from a cmd prompt.
    Agree the message to run on restart and do so please.
    It is a five stage check please do NOT interrupt it.

If you know how, please post the results.
    If not I will deal with that on your reply.

5. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name MY-PC
    System Manufacturer Compaq-Presario
    System Model RX896AA-ABA SR5030NX
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3200 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.12, 4/18/2007
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
    User Name MY-PC\M I N E
    Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 0.99 GB
    Available Physical Memory 73.4 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.24 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 738 MB
    Page File Space 1.28 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

drives

Drive C:
    Description Local Fixed Disk
    Compressed No
    File System NTFS
    Size 141.96 GB (152,430,854,144 bytes)
    Free Space 84.14 GB (90,340,511,744 bytes)
    Volume Name COMPAQ
    Volume Serial Number A2DEA78E

Drive D:
    Description Local Fixed Disk
    Compressed No
    File System NTFS
    Size 7.09 GB (7,608,381,440 bytes)
    Free Space 264.13 MB (276,963,328 bytes)
    Volume Name Recovery
    Volume Serial Number 8874071C

Drive E:
    Description CD-ROM Disc

6. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

Another thing, at least once every other day, windows explorer goes on the fritz...the folder page turns that faded shade and explorer just freezes for a good chunk of time.
    OR I'll click on a file and the whole explorer program vanishes.....desktop, toolbars and all.
    then explorer keeps me in suspence....will it reapear this time? or remain absent and force me to pull the plug to get to a re-boot?
    ------------
    I have to have ALL addons and extras turned off/disabled ALL addons, ALL in order to keep my browser from taking 30 to 90 seconds to respond to my clicks

7. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

i was reminded about the explorer thing when i followed your plan and right-clicked 'C' drive and
    explorer just sat there......and sat there and sat there--[no menue appearing]
    goin' back to try again.

8. Macboatmaster

There is one matter that comes to notice and that is that you have only 1gb of ram, as you probably know, it will run on 1Gb, in fact for Home Basic, the absolute minimum quoted by Microsoft is 512Mb.
    However that is the ram to run Windows ONLY and not catering for additional programs and demands.

That of course is not the cause of this complete hang when attempting to run only a chkdsk.

Start it in a clean boot and see how it runs then please.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

For this test you only need to perform step1.
    Note please that if you go further you will delete all restore points.

How does the computer perform when in clean boot.

Whilst there please check DiskCleanup and if it shows need of that please do so.

Also check disk defrag on programs accessories, system tools. It should go straight to analyse.
    If C drive is heavily fragmented, you will be there all day using Windows defrag.
    See if you can get a download of Auslogics Defrag and use that it is a lot quicker.

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/
    I recommed that you do use any of the other offered programs besides the defrag

Then if those have proved necessary run this if you can get it to download and run
    http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/196356-tfc-by-oldtimer/

The screen of TFC will flash, I tell you this just in case you maybe effected by flashing.
    Note the procedure to be adopted when you run TFC it is on the screen before you click start.

It maybe that you will have to return to normal boot to run TFC and Auslogics, if so please just use the info from the link re clean boot.

9. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

running in clean boot now

odd: a right-click on anything gets immediate menu.......On anything that is, except for 'C' Drive/folder.....right-cliking 'C' or marking it and useing the upper 'file' menu to get to the 'properties' ....both methods just hang there, whirrin away and not producing any menu.

pure luck/chance that one of the 4 attempts worked.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you used any registry cleaners or other system "fix" tools that could have done damage?

Did these problems all begin suddenly or a little at a time? What happened 3 weeks ago that you are trying to restore prior to?

You might want to test RAM just to eliminate that as a possibility. It's best to try removing a stick at a time if you have more than one.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

11. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

12. Macboatmaster

Do as Elvandil has recommended and the rest of my post that you are able to.
    If you cannot run a chkdsk from the GUI in My Computer
    Try it from the cmd prompt.
    Start search type cmd , do not key enter. When cmd appears in the box above right clcik and click run as admin
    Then in the cmd window and presuming the prompt is on C and windows is on C drive type
    chkdsk /r

Re the Windows memory Diagnostic and presuming that as it is a Compaq you do not have the Vista CD. key F8 on startup. If advanced boot options menu include Repair My Computer, select that and then on the screen that opens select Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and proceed from there.
    If you DO not have that option on F8 and you do not have the Vista DVD, as the same option can be accessed from the DVD, then follow the link from Elvandil

13. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

TO: Elvandil

FYI the links in your post.....the first one, MemScope is a dead link.

14. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

Koooollll:

I get to go back and redo about 4/5 of the tasks mentioned above.
    Lets all give a great big thanks to my 'windows explorer' for that full crash that closed all the task and system windows I was working from.

The good news?
    I can leave Clean Boot now and restart in normal.

Ain't gonna do NOTHIN zero, zip, zilch untill I regain my patience.

15. unstresst

unstresst Thread Starter

sorry i havent posted lately.
    other problems have dominated my concentration.

but please try to leave this thread open and i'll continue trouble-shooting when i find the time.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice