1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restore points on dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Macboatmaster, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

I have just realised, as was the case with dual booting 7 and XP for instance, when all restore points on 7 were deleted after booting to XP, so it is with a dual boot of 8 and 7

If you boot into 7, all restore points on 8 are deleted.

If you have like me a triple boot with 8, 7 and XP, although 8 is installed on a separate drive, the restore points are still deleted when booting into 7 OR indeed into XP

Please see my screenshots

1. The registry edit with new key is in 7 to prevent restore points being deleted in 8 - when booting into 7. THE edit is in the earlier O/S registry NOT in 8 and the \J is the drive letter where 8 is installed.
    2. The edit in XP with the TWO entries \DosDevices\F: and \J one preventing points being deleted in 7 and the other in 8

IF you are dual booting 8 and 7 THIS IS DONE in regedit in 7
    SO in regedit you go to HKEY Local Machine System
    You scroll to Mounted Devices
    You create a new key Offline by right clicking on Mounted devices and clicking new and key
    You then create by clicking on the main pane NEW and DWord
    \DosDevices\X: (where X is the driver letter of the Windows 8 O/S)
    You then right click DosDevices and click modify - you then type 1 in the value

If like me you have a triple boot then it is also necessary to regedit in XP
    where you then have those entries for the drive with 7 and the drive with 8.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice