1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restore Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dcnfg, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dcnfg

dcnfg Thread Starter

Dell Dimension 8400 , 7 years old, PC

Daily sytem check points but will not restore. Called engineer a month ago - who googled and then erased all previous checks. It then restored! However when I wanted to restore on Saturday, I tried 5 different chek points and it would not restore - went thru' the motions and came back as 'nothing has changed'.

Please anybody any ideas?

2. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

3. dcnfg

dcnfg Thread Starter

Hi Laz

Not sure what you mean in 'Safemode'. I gor all my back-up in a 'stick' and also have a Registry Cleaning Program - which does a backup whenever I clean up my Registry , monthly or so, by 3B, had it for years and is good. But that does not solve my problem: I need an Idiots Guide to do this. Has anybody got got a 'step-by-step' version? Can't do a Factory restore because the Motherboard had to be changed a few years ago(it was still under guaranty then).

I simply do not know what to do if I get a serious problem, since I fell out with my Engineering people. I suppose I better start looking for somebody els!!!!!!!!

However, I have just downloaded ERRUNT - see what happens.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you've been using a registry "cleaner" on a regular basis, you've probably damaged Windows and started to wreak havoc with your Dell Dimension 8400.

A clean reinstall of Windows XP SP3 and getting a fresh start may be the only viable option.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. dcnfg

dcnfg Thread Starter

OMG, and how do I do that? I'm such a dimwit! Do I need to use the original diks? Or can I do it thru' Windows?

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the 7-character number that's on the "service tag" sticker?

What's the complete version of Windows that's on the Microsoft Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?
    (That's the sticker that has the 25-character product key)

----------------------------------------------------------

7. dcnfg

dcnfg Thread Starter

Sorry it took me so long to reply - been away!!!

The Product Key No is : W2OCB-JB8XR-TVFKD-GW9TG-TCXFQ.

Service Tag Sticker I have not got, at least no 7 character not anywhere on the back. The only other thing I can find is: Windos XP Home Edition X10-6064 and then U7670.

My Asset Tag is: 3XP9H1J (Dell called it Sevice Tag too)

But in 2005 I got an Express Service Code: 850-816-320-7 - does that mean anything to you?

I have also tried the DELL Site, my Asset Tag does show - but no Service Tag sticker either.

I have tried and Restore agian this morning, still no go - it goes thru' all the motions as if it is doing it and then comes up with 'no change etc'.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to service tag number 3XP9H1J, here is the Dell support and downloads site that's specific only to your Dell Dimension 8400 desktop.

You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its system configuration section, it was purchased in 02/04/2005 in the United Kingdom.

According to its driver downloads section, these are the drivers for the devices in it:

Intel 925X/925XE Chipset
    Driver version: 6.2.1.1001

Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio
    Driver version: 5.12.01.5246

Intel 537E 56K V.92 Modem
    Driver version: 2.15.57.4

Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller
    Driver version: 7.86.0.0

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Graphics
    Driver version: 6.14.10.7124

I strongly suggest that you download and SAVE and then burn these drivers to a CD-R or copy them to a USB thumb drive.

Once you do a "clean" reinstall of Windows XP Home Edition in that desktop, you'll probably need to install those drivers afterwards so all of its devices will work.

Note: The Intel chipset driver needs to be installed first before the other drivers.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I did NOT advise you to submit the 25-character product key - which is incorrect anyway.

Please edit your last reply and remove that product key.

-------------------------------------------------------------

9. Laz123

Laz123 Banned

As above but make sure when you reinstall the Dell drivers that they're done in a specific order according to your model.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083658

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice