1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restore Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dwpnavy75, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dwpnavy75

dwpnavy75 Thread Starter

My hardrive crashed in my Gateway laptop. I replaced the hard drive and attempted to reinstall Windows 8 with the system disc and recovery discs Gateway sent me. However, when I try boot the recovery disc in Legacy BIOS mode a warning window tells me boot this recovery system can only be used in UEFI mode and when I attempt to reinstall in UEFI mode a warning window tells me to boot this disc using Legacy BIOS mode.

Please help me!

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

OK, set the BIOS back to its default settings, (UEFI, secure boot ON)

Call Gateway tech support and find out which function key to use to bring up the boot manager. With the first recovery disk in the drive, use the boot manager to select the DVD drive in UEFI mode

3. dwpnavy75

dwpnavy75 Thread Starter

Thank you for responding!!!!

When you say secure boot on do you mean secure boot enabled?

4. dwpnavy75

dwpnavy75 Thread Starter

If so, please see these pics to see what happens...

Attached Files:

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What OS was on the Gateway
    eg windows 8 32 or 64 bit and what version

OR was it 8.1
    It must be installed in UEFI mode if the gateway originally came with windows 8 or 8.1 installed

Have you tried booting from the system disc first - your post as I read it does not say so.
    Recovery using CDs or DVDs

How do I reinstall my operating system from Recovery CDs or DVDs?

When Windows cannot be installed from Recovery Management, use the Recovery CDs or DVDs to re-install all original software:

1. Power on your computer. When the first logo screen shows, press repeatedly the F12 key to enter the Boot menu. On some systems, you may need to enable the boot menu before you can access it.
    2. Use the arrow keys to select your optical drive.
    3. Insert the disc labelled System CD in the optical drive and press ENTER. The system will load from the Gateway Recovery Media.
    4. After the system recovery program has loaded follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system
    That gateway disc should boot with secure boot on, as secure boot is only in simple terms a list of acceptable boot discs and that gateway should include their recovery media

If that gets you no further when you come back I will offer further advice

6. dwpnavy75

dwpnavy75 Thread Starter

I started with the system disc.Could the problem be that the hard drive isn't formatted?

7. Macboatmaster

please answer the questions in my last
    was 8 the original installed OS
    is it 32 or 64 bit
    was it before the HDD problem upgraded to 8.1 on the free download

8. dwpnavy75

dwpnavy75 Thread Starter

I don't know whether it was 32 or 64 bit. How to I determine that now? It was originally Windows 8 then I uses the free upgrade to 8.1

9. Macboatmaster

Go here
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

whatever version of 8 it was, use the same version of 8.1
    so if it was 8 Pro 64 bit use 8.1 Pro 64 bit
    If it was 8 (not pro) then use 8.1 and the same bit

I cannot help as to which it was, as of course that info is on the old defective HDD
    I would have presumed that the discs from Gateway bear some information as to what they are

OR I would have presumed the user manual or the case of the computer bears some information

Although it will NOT have the product key as that is embedded in the firmware

That install media from the download should install and activate on the emebedded key
    PROVIDING you choose the correct installation type

When you boot from that System disc from Gateway if there are on the boot menu two DVD drives shown both with the same name but one prefixed UEFI then that is the boot you want

My best advice is to confirm what you had and make the media from the download I have sent you

There may be a chance that the problem is the new drive, but I would not expect that to be the case
    As the system disc should boot the computer and then deal with the drive

10. dwpnavy75

dwpnavy75 Thread Starter

when I try boot the recovery disc in Legacy BIOS mode a warning window tells me this recovery system can only be used in UEFI mode and when I attempt to reinstall in UEFI mode a warning window tells me to boot this disc using Legacy BIOS mode.

11. Macboatmaster

Yes
    But that is what you posted on your opening post, so it does not help to progress the issue
    Why please do you not try what I suggested in post 9

If YOU do not know which version of 8 and then 8.1 - as they will be the same and which Bit it was 32 or 64
    then there is NO one that can help in a forum situation

As the recovery discs were from Gateway have you spoken to them to ask their opinion.

I have given you in post 5 the Gateway recovery procedure from their site

I have then given you the alternative approach of trying the install media from Microsoft

CleaverX recommended - select from boot menu DVD drive in UEFI mode
    I explained that a little further in post 9

SO on the Gateway I think the boot menu - one time boot is F10 then on there if there are TWO entries for the optical drive - DVD drive you want the one that is prefixed UEFI
    That is NOT the same as selecting Legacy or UEFI mode in UEFI setup
    you leave that UEFI ad you select the correct DVD drive on the one time boot menu

Secure boot should be disabled.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/disabling-secure-boot/

12. Macboatmaster

See para 7 on my last I have just expanded the explanation for booting from the Gateway disc

13. 34m0922

34m0922 Account Closed

try contact Gateway or use Gateway forums

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice