Restore Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dwpnavy75

My hardrive crashed in my Gateway laptop. I replaced the hard drive and attempted to reinstall Windows 8 with the system disc and recovery discs Gateway sent me. However, when I try boot the recovery disc in Legacy BIOS mode a warning window tells me boot this recovery system can only be used in UEFI mode and when I attempt to reinstall in UEFI mode a warning window tells me to boot this disc using Legacy BIOS mode.

Please help me!

OK, set the BIOS back to its default settings, (UEFI, secure boot ON)

Call Gateway tech support and find out which function key to use to bring up the boot manager. With the first recovery disk in the drive, use the boot manager to select the DVD drive in UEFI mode

dwpnavy75

Thank you for responding!!!!

When you say secure boot on do you mean secure boot enabled?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What OS was on the Gateway
eg windows 8 32 or 64 bit and what version

OR was it 8.1
It must be installed in UEFI mode if the gateway originally came with windows 8 or 8.1 installed

Have you tried booting from the system disc first - your post as I read it does not say so.
Recovery using CDs or DVDs

How do I reinstall my operating system from Recovery CDs or DVDs?

When Windows cannot be installed from Recovery Management, use the Recovery CDs or DVDs to re-install all original software:

1. Power on your computer. When the first logo screen shows, press repeatedly the F12 key to enter the Boot menu. On some systems, you may need to enable the boot menu before you can access it.
  2. Use the arrow keys to select your optical drive.
  3. Insert the disc labelled System CD in the optical drive and press ENTER. The system will load from the Gateway Recovery Media.
  4. After the system recovery program has loaded follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system
That gateway disc should boot with secure boot on, as secure boot is only in simple terms a list of acceptable boot discs and that gateway should include their recovery media
Secure Boot is a security standard developed by members of the PC industry to help make sure that your PC boots using only software that is trusted by the PC manufacturer.

When the PC starts, the firmware checks the signature of each piece of boot software, including firmware drivers (Option ROMs) and the operating system. If the signatures are good, the PC boots, and the firmware gives control to the operating system

If that gets you no further when you come back I will offer further advice

dwpnavy75

I started with the system disc.Could the problem be that the hard drive isn't formatted?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
please answer the questions in my last
was 8 the original installed OS
is it 32 or 64 bit
was it before the HDD problem upgraded to 8.1 on the free download

dwpnavy75

I don't know whether it was 32 or 64 bit. How to I determine that now? It was originally Windows 8 then I uses the free upgrade to 8.1

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Go here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

whatever version of 8 it was, use the same version of 8.1
so if it was 8 Pro 64 bit use 8.1 Pro 64 bit
If it was 8 (not pro) then use 8.1 and the same bit

I cannot help as to which it was, as of course that info is on the old defective HDD
I would have presumed that the discs from Gateway bear some information as to what they are

OR I would have presumed the user manual or the case of the computer bears some information

Although it will NOT have the product key as that is embedded in the firmware

That install media from the download should install and activate on the emebedded key
PROVIDING you choose the correct installation type

When you boot from that System disc from Gateway if there are on the boot menu two DVD drives shown both with the same name but one prefixed UEFI then that is the boot you want

My best advice is to confirm what you had and make the media from the download I have sent you

There may be a chance that the problem is the new drive, but I would not expect that to be the case
As the system disc should boot the computer and then deal with the drive

dwpnavy75

when I try boot the recovery disc in Legacy BIOS mode a warning window tells me this recovery system can only be used in UEFI mode and when I attempt to reinstall in UEFI mode a warning window tells me to boot this disc using Legacy BIOS mode.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes
But that is what you posted on your opening post, so it does not help to progress the issue
Why please do you not try what I suggested in post 9

If YOU do not know which version of 8 and then 8.1 - as they will be the same and which Bit it was 32 or 64
then there is NO one that can help in a forum situation

As the recovery discs were from Gateway have you spoken to them to ask their opinion.

I have given you in post 5 the Gateway recovery procedure from their site

I have then given you the alternative approach of trying the install media from Microsoft

CleaverX recommended - select from boot menu DVD drive in UEFI mode
I explained that a little further in post 9

SO on the Gateway I think the boot menu - one time boot is F10 then on there if there are TWO entries for the optical drive - DVD drive you want the one that is prefixed UEFI
That is NOT the same as selecting Legacy or UEFI mode in UEFI setup
you leave that UEFI ad you select the correct DVD drive on the one time boot menu

Secure boot should be disabled.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/disabling-secure-boot/

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
See para 7 on my last I have just expanded the explanation for booting from the Gateway disc

34m0922

Account Closed
My hardrive crashed in my Gateway laptop. I replaced the hard drive and attempted to reinstall Windows 8 with the system disc and recovery discs Gateway sent me. However, when I try boot the recovery disc in Legacy BIOS mode a warning window tells me boot this recovery system can only be used in UEFI mode and when I attempt to reinstall in UEFI mode a warning window tells me to boot this disc using Legacy BIOS mode.

Please help me!
try contact Gateway or use Gateway forums

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online