Restore Registry - "Out Of Memory" error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SBFlyFan

Hi, I'm using Windows ME.

When my PC boots up and gets to Windows, I get an error message: "Windows encountered an error accessing the registry. Windows will repair the registry for you and restart the computer".

Then the Registry Repair dialog box comes up and it starts to repair the registry, but I get an error message that says "Out Of Memory - Close unnecessary programs and try again" and if I click "OK" it re-starts my computer and I get the same registry error message again.

I've tried to run scanregw.exe but I get the same error, and I've also tried to run scanregw.exe /restore but every registry backup gives me an error saying "There was a problem with the specified backup - try another".

I've also tried to run scanregw.exe /fix but I get the same "Out Of Memory" message.

My hard drive is no where near being full and my System Resources are 67% free so I don't know why I should be receiving an out of memory error.

If I Ctrl + alt +Delete the error message at startup, I can use my computer normally. However, if I try to fix the registry and then Ctrl + Alt + Delete the "Out Of Memory" error I can't access any websites and my instant messengers and Internet Explorer settings are gone.

I can't do System Restore because, for some reason, I have no restore points. Even creating manual restore points doesn't work because they're always gone after I restart.

Can anyone help me? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!! :)

SBFlyFan

Here is a tidbit of information I found making a suggestion on what to try to resolve the continous start-up registry error. The first part may resolve your issue. Lets hope since the second part part I believe is not available to you from what I have read in your posting.

---------------------------------------------
Registry has errors every boot

Do you get the message "Windows encountered an error accessing the system Registry..." every time you boot to Windows 98 or ME?

1) Here is a simple trick, first use the Ctrl-Alt-Delete button to close down the Windows Registry Checker. Then do a search on the Windows Drive for User.dat, normally you may find one in your profiles folder. If you do check the byte size, and if it is a zero byte file, Windows made a bad copy of it and wants to replace it but it cannot. It already backed up a bad copy. So just delete it, or replace it with the one in the Windows folder.

Note: The user.dat may be a hidden system file so go into Folder options and select to show hidden files, click apply then ok. Also hopefully the file in use message will not appear during normal windows so you can do the above. I so then doing above will have to be done through DOS.

2) If no file is found and/or this does not cure the problem and you had the foresight to make an exported copy of the Registry prior to this you're now in great shape. You can now always replace the Registry with a new one. Move the file to your Windows folder and from a DOS prompt get to the Windows directory (folder). At the Windows Prompt type :
Smartdrv.exe /v and then press the Enter button. Then type :
RegEdit /c backup.reg (replace Backup.reg with the name of the file you named your export file)

You now have a new Registry database installed

Hope that works for you

Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online