1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

restore/repair internet explorer

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by NJMom130, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

Hi!

I am running Windows 98 on my computer. My son attempted to download a screen saver for the top of the AOL Instant Messenger screen. Now he has problems opening up Internet Explorer. Have to right click and hit open. When he doubles clicks it just hangs there. A lot of crap got downloaded which I deleted.

I wanted to know how to restore Internet Explorer to where it was prior to him attempting to download something. Do I go to Add/Remove Programs and do it from there?

What do you suggest?

Nancy

2. dr_cool_j

dr_cool_j

go to my site
    download and run
    CWShredder
    then run
    x-cleaner (remove any items that popup)
    restart when asked

if still no go
    download, install,update and run
    spybot & ad-aware
    remove any of the listed items

3. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

I did the cwshredder and xcleaner. Got rid of a lot of junk. The problem I have now is I can't get into email from the Optimum Online website. Maybe it's them. I'll have to ask.

Also what is the web site for ad aware?

Thanks

Nancy

4. sekirt

sekirt

Unless you have something like Norton or Roxio, you can't "restore" IE. You can, however, repair it.

Go to Start. Click Run. Type: msinfo32
    When it opens, Click Tools. Click Internet Explorer Repair Tool.
    It may tell you that you can't repair, in which case you will have to reinstall. Settings/emails, etc; should be unaffected.

sekirt

5. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

I did find the repair and did that. Also did what was suggested in an earlier post. Problem remaining is that when my son attempts to get his email from the Optonline home page nothing happens. Maybe a problem with them. I'll have to check with them.

Thanks

6. sekirt

sekirt

I went to http://www.optonline.net/Home
    I don't have anything through them, but when I click the webmail button on their page, I do get a log-in page for mail.

....if that helps you at all.
    :)
    sekirt

7. NJMom130

NJMom130 Thread Starter

The problem I have is that I don't get the log in page at optonline.

8. sekirt

sekirt

On the log-in page, I see this reference to Java. Is it possible your Java is disabled?

Copyright ©2004 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. Use is subject to license terms. Third-party software, including font technology, is copyrighted and licensed from Sun suppliers, Sun Microsystems, the Sun logo, Forte, Java, iPlanet and Forte 4GL are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc.

You can go here and check both Java and javascript:

http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm

sekirt

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice