1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restore system files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jackpan, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

Recently purchased a used laptop with Windows95 installed. There are definitely some system files that are corrupt, damaged or missing. Fortunately I have the original Windows 95 CD-ROM and installation floppies. Is there a way to reinstall only the bad files? Thanks. :confused:

2. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

3. mobo

mobo

Best plan here would be to get hold of a 98 cd and upgrade the system...

4. slipe

slipe

The installation gives you the choice of a fresh install or keeping your files and settings. That second choice sometimes fixes corrupted or missing Windows components.

If the laptop came with Win95 I’m not sure upgrading would be a good idea. If it has something like a whopping 8Mb of RAM you would do better sticking with Win95.

You might try Start>Run, type sfc and enter. It will check your files. If you know what files are missing or corrupted SFC will extract them from the CD for you and put them in the right place. It has been so long that I don’t remember for sure whether Win95 has SFC.

5. mobo

mobo

Couldn't you just boot with a bootdisk and at the command prompt do a scanreg /restore ?

Type: c:\ scanreg / restore
    A pop-up window will let you choose from the last five dated backups. Restore a registry file from before the date you made the last changes (which might have caused the crash).
    8 Backups:

6. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

The more I play around with this laptop the more problems I find. I took one of your suggestions and looked at the Microsoft system requirements for upgrading to Win98SE. Much to my surprise the laptop has sufficient storage to handle the upgrade. An upgrade will be the safest and easiest route to take. Thanks for all the replies. This thread is now closed.

7. skyman

skyman

Opinions are like noses, everyone has one, but if I had to do it I would upgrade to Win 98 and not 98se..

I am sure i will here from this..

8. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Interesting......why 98FE as opposed to 98SE??

9. skyman

skyman

Just personal with me. I had 98se and for some reason it was
    very buggy and I had problems with other programs.

I went back to 998fe and have not had any problems.

May just be me...

10. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

Hi gang. It's me again. I noticed your comments concerning Win98FE verses Win98SE. My original desktop PC came with Win95 back in 1997. I purchased the Microsoft Win98SE update CD and installed it on my desktop. This CD was designed for systems currently running Win95 only. The only problem I had was too many programs were running at startup. The system crawled. I ran msconfig and unchecked all programs that I did not really need. The system ran great afterwords. If you do not want or need all the "bells and whistles" associated with newer operating systems, I strongly recommend Win98SE. This is one persons opinion.

11. skyman

skyman

jackpan,

Glad it is working for you...

I will stay with my "old" Win 98FE because I don't need the "bells and whistles' either. I don't download music or work with graphics, which is what XP offers. I am sure it is great for those
    who do but 98FE works for me...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice