1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restore to factory default settings. Strange issues

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Hadleyrandall123, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hadleyrandall123

Hadleyrandall123 Thread Starter

My computer was acting up. I had a lot of files, and it was eating up almost permanently "30+%) of the physical memory, even with everything but required files closed.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz121/japika/ComputerSpecs.jpg

I was hoping a system restore to factory defaults would fix it, but now I am getting some strange issues.

The Physical Memory usage is just as high.
    There is one svchost.exe (netsvcs) that is eating up a lot of memory (113,000 KB working set).
    DWM.exe is also ~113,000 KB commit but only 77,500 Working set.

It is running just as slow as it was before the restore. In fact it seems to be running a little slower.

What is strange is, in that image I showed you, it lists 3gigs of memory and a 32 bit system.

I have 4 gigs of memory (it showed that before the system restore) and 64 bit system. When I did the restore, it said it was installing the 64 bit system....

I am at a loss...

The computer is a little old (at least 2 (maybe 3) years).

Bad memory? Would investing in some new memory sticks be worth while?
    I really don't want to buy a new computer...

Quick addendum
    I have yet to install any of the microsoft updates.

I am going to uninstall the included programs that I will never use like Napster..., search and install the updates, then shut down the computer and pull out, 'clean' and reinsert the ram chips, to see if there is any effect.

I know for a fact there is a lot! of dust in the system.

Could that be a cause?

Best regards,

2. I_T_Doctor

I_T_Doctor

Hello Hadleyrandell123;

How did you do the system restore? Was it from a disk or a separate partition on your hard drive?

The dust is probably not the culprit, but is not a good thing either :).

Cheers

Dave

3. Hadleyrandall123

Hadleyrandall123 Thread Starter

Hey Dave,

I actually had to install from a CD (or DVD don't remember). I actually ran this thing called "tuneup utilities" and part of it's recommendations was to delete all my system restore points. It actually ended up deleting (at least I assume this is what happened), the old system restore.

I did just realize that I installed the wrong system ("Factory defaults"). I actually used a CD that came with my older gateway instead of the one that came with this gateway.

I do not know if I even have the restore CD that came with this new PC.

They are both gateways.

Anyway, I tried to run the hard drive based system restore like I have done several times in the past, but I could not find it. So I gave up and used the CD.

I still have the "local disk (D:)" which contains the recovery partition. I do not know if that is the original recovery file from the operating system that came with this computer, or if it was replaced when I used the CD to restore.

Regardless, I am not running Vista Ultimate 32Bit instead of the Vista Home Premium 64Bit.

Could the 3gigs of memory it is showing be a result of the 32bit cap?

I did have 179 "important updates" since I originally made this post, and I installed all of them except for two internet explorer 8 updates.

It seems to have picked up response speed over the last day since I installed the video card driver and updated several of the other drivers.

I also noticed with my external hard drive, I get some slow transfer / copy speeds both to and from the external.

It states a maximum of ~ 480 MB/s. However it also states it is a USB 3.0, and can use USB 2.0.

The transfer rates are really weird. They start off really fast (and the progress bar seems to reflect the calculated transfer speed). Typically they start off ~ 200MB/s (or 100MB/s) but then rapidly drop off to a average of ~ 5-20MB/s.

Sometimes with transfers of folders with several thousands of files, the speed sits at around 5-10MB/s.

Large single file copies (or transfers if I use teracopy), tend to sit at around 20-25MB/s.

Is that normal with USB 2.0? The computer itself (from what I can recall) transfers file certainty acceptable speeds. One install listed speeds of around 4000 MB/s.

I bought the external for a very simple purpose, of storing hundreds of gigabytes of files (100,000+), with several hundred of those files being extremely large (500Mb - 3000Mb), but with transfer speeds of 10 MB/s (and sometimes 5MB/s when it gets to the folders with a lot of files) the drive is worthless for anything but transferring while I sleep.

Would it be worth my while to install a USB 3.0 component on my system? I believe I have a free PCI-e port on my motherboard and when I upgraded my graphics card (transferred from the computer I had before this one so it is starting to get old) I upgraded the power supply (which was required) to handle it.

I do not remember off hand what this power supply pushes but I can't foresee it being an issue. Would installing a USB 3.0 (if that is even worth my time to try and get faster transfer speeds) component be a big drain on the power supply?

Removing the memory chips and reinserting them had no effect. The computer is running a little better now, with the updates and video card driver but it still seems slower than it should be.

4. I_T_Doctor

I_T_Doctor

What model Gateway is the computer, the recovery partition may still be there but you would have to look at the user manual on how to access it? Until you sort out the existing issues I would not invest in a usb 3.0 card, but once things are running smoothly it should increase your transfer speed from the external drive.

Cheers

Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!