1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restore to Factory settings

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by confusedgeek, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. confusedgeek

confusedgeek Thread Starter

Hello,
    Having a little trouble restoring my computer to factory settings. I dont know why but I cant seem to just do it through the advanced menu because it says i dont have a restore point. Does anyone else know how to Restore my computer totally without having to buy a new operating system, Or even Just using a old one.

I think I have windows 7 but i put that on after I removed the Windows XP

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

If that computer came with Windows XP pre-installed and then you replaced it with Windows 7, you probably destroyed its built-in system recovery partition and its ability to revert it back to Windows XP and its original factory condition.

What's the brand name and model name and model number of that computer?

-------------------------------------------------------

3. confusedgeek

confusedgeek Thread Starter

Brand Is HP
    Product name=HP Pavilion dv9500
    It looks like it came with Vista Not XP
    Is their anything else you would need

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

To "recover or restore to factory defaults" use your set of Recovery disks (that you hopefully made) or the installation XP CD or Vista DVD that came with the machine. Or, if you initially had only a Recovery Partition you may be able to buy a set of Recovery DVDs from HP.

Or, unless you are getting this ready to sell, gift or donate, why not just install using your Windows 7 installation DVD?

5. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

The HP Pavilion dv9500 series laptop has 33 models, so we need to determine what the exact model number of your laptop is.

Look at the sticker on the bottom of the case and then advise us what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on it is.

Once we determine the exact model number, we should be able to provide you with the support site for it and where you can possibly still purchase a system recovery disc kit for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061052