1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

restore utility advanced mode HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LJborn, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

want to restore backup files to new windows7 computer. read all the posts. successfully downloaded and installed kbid974674.
    can see the external drive (MyBook) with 31gB backup file.
    can see the main screen for the Restore Utility
    but when doubleclick on the box next to File on the left side, that is supposed to give me a tree of options for which files to restore, it can't find any files.

if I doubleclick on the external drive's 31gB file, back under the external drive, under 'computer', it automatically goes to the Restore Utility Advanced Mode, and again doesn't find any files.

Yes, we were careful to download the version of 974674 that is for 64bit Windows7.

??What do we do now? I don't see why this won't work. Can someone give me some advice regarding what else to do to make the Restore Utility work properly?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

This backup was made using the NTBackup program, and not software that came with the MyBook drive, correct?

Can you open the backup file on the old computer? Could be the file is corrupted.

3. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

The old computer is dead. However, on the new computer I can see the 31gB file on the backup drive, just can't open it.

I have other PCs I could connect the backup drive to. Is there something I can do using another PC to test the integrity of the backup file?

4. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

I plugged MYBook into another PC not the original PC, which is dead), and was able to see the backup file subdirectories. Certainly looks like everything is there.

Okay, so I have two PCs I can work with:
    windows7 - new PC
    windowsXP - other working PC

what do I do?? from my earlier posts, you can see that I already have the NTbackup restore hotfix from microsoft downloaded to the windows7 PC

I'm willing to do whatever y'all suggest.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If the backup was made with the NTBackup program, any Win2K, XP Pro, or Win2K3 system can view the file. XP Home can as well, but the backup program is not installed by default.

Looks like you did just that. You can extract the files you want using the Working XP PC, and save them in folders on the external drive.
    Then you should be able to drag and drop the files onto the Win 7 PC.

Won't explain why the utility isn't working, but would at least get the files restored.

Another option, depending on just what "The old computer is dead" means, if it's not "the hard drive died", you can take the hard drive out of the old PC and connect it to the new and transfer files that way.

6. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

I have never had the pleasure of performing a restore operation, so am a bit nervous about not messing up my working PC.

I assume that I pick some Alternate Location for the restore? Do I just make up a folder name in my C Drive? Can I then 'restore', for example, all the My Documents folder to that made up new folder on my C Drive?

Will I be able to restore other things like settings this way?

agghhhggghhhhh.............

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Create a folder someplace, lick C:\OldPCFiles.

Start the Backup program, and choose the Restore Wizard, or the Advanced mode
    Under Restore files to: Select Alternate Location
    (If you use the Restore Wizard, you have to click Advanced to chose the Restore to location).
    Browse to the above folder, or type in the path.
    Uncheck Restore security settings, this will avoid having to take ownership of the files later to be able to access them.
    (If not using the wizard, you have to click Start Restore, then click the Advanced button to get to that setting).

Once the files have been restore, you can drag and drop them back to the External, then connect it to the Win 7 PC and drag and drop as needed without needed the restore utiity.

You might be able to restore Program settings that were stored in the Application Data folder, if they were backed up. The folder structure in Win 7 is different however, so you would need to understand what those differences are, and they may be program specific, so I wouldn't recommend it. Be easer to just reconfigure the programs after installing them.

You won't be able to restore Program settings that were stored in the Registry, at least not easily. You would have to mount the registry hive, find the settings, export them, edit them to adjust for them being mounted, then modify them for any changes in Win 7, and for changes because it's a 64 bit OS (some settings are duplicated and stored in two different locations). Not worth the effort, except for educational purposes.

Just make sure you have enough free space for the files you are restoring. If not, you can do them in sections.

8. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

Thanks. You make a good point about NOT trying to 'restore' anything except files. Do you know, by any chance, if this will restore the ITunes library? Apple doesn't let you transfer from Ipod to a 'new' PC, except for tracks purchased from ITunes. My husband had a bunch of his CDs that he had put on his Ipod. At least we knew not to try to sync the Ipod to the new computer!!!!

I will report back after following your excellently detailed instructions....

Thanks again for your help.

9. jujuswift

jujuswift

There are other programs that can be used apart from Itunes if you want to sync from another PC, Winamp is one i use, just a thought, saved me the trouble of having to resync all the times.

10. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

I successfully transferred My Documents folder to another PC. My question now is exactly what to do to get ITunes library onto the windows7 new PC. There is an ITunes folder that has inside it the following: Itunes Music folder, Itunes music library.xml and Itunes music library.itl and an Album artwork folder among other things.

My question is exactly what steps do I follow to get this music onto the windows7 computer?

I've been reading, but that only has gotten me confused. ITunes has been loaded onto the windows7 computer. Nothing has been added. I want to do this correctly. I'm just a bit confused as to how to do this right.

thanks in advance . Or should I make a new post in the windows7 forum???

11. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Not familiar with Ipods or Itunes, so can't help you there.

The Multimedia forum might be a better choice. I don't hang out there, but I think it might be a better choice for Itunes and Ipod type questions.
    http://forums.techguy.org/72-multimedia/

12. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

well, I posted my question there, after checking to make sure it hadn't already been answered. So far, no replies.

boo hoo....

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!