1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restore windows XP to its original setting (PLEASE ANSWER)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nltung, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nltung

nltung Thread Starter

So !, after installing and running a f...ing windows boosting program, namely PC Accelerator 2004, my computer became a mess : No internet connection, sound card failed,.... Unfortunately I have disabled Windows Restore months ago, and the Restore Function in that f...ing program didn't work also. I've tried to reinstalled Windows (Upgrade).... things stayed the same.
    The most effective solution is obvious : new installation of Windows, it means hundreds of my installed programs have to be reinstalled and reconfigured, what I absolutely don't want to, furthermore I'm quite busy now and even don't have time to do such a thing at least in the next 3 weeks.But I need Internet access, otherwise I can't carry out my work.
    Anyone has an idea ? I think it concerns mostly about the Registry setting, so how can I restore the registry setting to its original without effecting my personal programs
    Thank you very much in advance !!

2. rude

rude

Try this: Click start/run

Type: SFC /scannow

Note the space between SFC and /

keep your xp cd handy in case you're asked to chuck it into your cd rom

As soon as you do this go to Windows Update and make sure you have all updates and service packs

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. nltung

nltung Thread Starter

To Rude : I have run "sfc /scannow" and let it checking, cause it seemed to last long so I went out, after coming back, I saw nothing happened, no any notice board, the programm should has turned off automatically. Does it mean that no changes have been made to my system files ? As I said, boosting programs would not change system files, but registry, so this method would not work, i guess !
    To Elvandil : I have thought of doing like that, but as I ran the windows setup, I didn't see any option that sounds "repair installation" or alike. So I booted with instalation CD and by pressing F2 I went to the socalled "Automated System recovery" or sth like that(can't remmember exactly), but it asked me to insert the disk label "Automated system recovery" which I don't have....so bypassed...went to the main option, there was also sth sounded "repair", I chose it and after some "enter" the computer restarted and I got back to the defected system ! I think it just let me log on to the Windows, which was unbootable .
    So, in the worst case : a new installation is requisite, is there a program that makes a backup of my whole system, so that after "pasting" the backup on the new installed XP, i get back to my lovely Windows ? Just to prevent staying hours before the computer inserting the CDs to reinstall all my programs ?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You are kind of stuck. If you reinstall XP from scratch, you will lose all your registry settings for your programs and need to reinstall those. A repair is the only way to fix the OS and leave the programs intact.

Do you have the full XP CD? If so, boot from it. Do not choose the first "R" for repair. Continue. After the license (F8), you should see your XP installation listed. Follow those directions and press "R" then.

6. nltung

nltung Thread Starter

Ok, thanks ! I' ll try it now (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice