1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Restore) WordPad problem!!!...Plz Help!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Midnight6333, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Midnight6333

Midnight6333 Thread Starter

I've been writing things in a wordpad document for a month now...updating it an saving..I just saved it a hour ago...and went back to it and everything is gone....its blank (disappered?) I thought it was a glitch so I had shutdown my computer and restarted it...but its still blank...I didn't save a blank thing over it (Im sure)...what happened? is there a way to restore it from a previous saved time? Please help me!

-Kristy

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There may possibly have been had you not restarted the PC, if a temporary file was still open. Thats how Word operates, however Wordpad is just a rudimentary text editor so its also just as likely that a background temp file is not kept.

Look to ant temp files created around the time, see if they will open in Wordpad, but I really think you are out of luck somehow

3. Midnight6333

I'm sorry...how do you find temporary files?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Look for all files that were created at the time in the Temp directory, but as explained above once the program is closed the files are deleted anyway (if Wordpad ever created them, which is very doubtful, I think you need a full Word version or equivalent to have that feature).

Its a feature used by Word et al to be able to recover after a crash while the file was open, but in your case you closed everything, there was no crash.

I can only reiterate "I really think you are out of luck"

5. Kitch

Kitch

I realise this is a long shot .........

You might have inadvertantly changed the text to white, do you see anything if you click Edit->Select all ?

If there's nothing you can only have somehow cleared the document before saving it, in which
    case, as kiwiguy says you're out of luck.

6. Midnight6333

Kitch - no there nothing when I change the font color and it wont let me select all...thank you tho it was a good idea....

kiwiguy- I'm sorry I'm still confused... Temp directory? where would it be located on my computer?...I think I do have a full word version...but even if I don't and there was no temp file created...atleast i'll know what to do if it happens again...

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

As we do not know what version of Windows you use, we cannot state where any directory will be with certainty, as it varies by version.

If you have Word installed, I wonder why you used Wordpad, as it offers no "autosave" features that *may* have helped...?

8. ATopSoft

ATopSoft

If your computer have been infected with virus, some virus maybe destroy your document.
    And are you sure nobody touch your computer during your leaving?

9. ATopSoft

ATopSoft

There is no autosave feature in Word. There is only auto recovery feature in it.
    See here,
    http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

It's safe to open the url. That site is MS' MVP.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I am aware that there is only an autorecovery in Word, however if the program suffered a "glitch" as was suggested above it may have left that unclosed autorecovery file. So the outcome under Word may have been different.

However that is just semantics as Wordpad offers neither recovery or autosave option according to my research.

11. oceen

oceen

I keep getting sorry but http://log.go.com/log?srvc everytime I go online to view an episode online!! what is this about? Can you help me?

12. oceen

oceen

:confused:

13. slurpee55

slurpee55

Oceen, you are offtopic - if you have a question about something, please start your own thread and explain what you are trying to do.
    Midnight, I am afraid you are almost certainly out of luck. If you right-click on your file and go to properties, what does it say the file size is? If it says 0 bytes, then your information is gone. If it is larger than that, then something still exists in the file - but the lack of the ability to select all almost certainly means it is gone.
    Although it won't make any difference here as far as I know, if you want to find the temp files, click on the start button and go to Search. In the filename search bar, enter *.tmp (or possibly the first 3 letters of a file name, followed by a tilde (~) .tmp (like nam~.tmp).

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/501821