1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Restored image to new drive will not boot

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by DigitalManDan, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DigitalManDan

DigitalManDan Thread Starter

Having a really weird and annoying problem. I'm running Windows 10 Pro and my boot device is a Samsung Pro 950 512GB M.2 NVME SSD. It's been running great through many Windows 10 upgrades. I'm currently running the latest 1903 version. I'm starting to run out of room on the C drive so I purchased a new Samsung Pro 970 1TB M.2 NVME SSD. No matter what I try I cannot seem to get a clone or restored image of my boot drive to work. Every time it boots it gets the spinning circles for about a minute and then the circles freeze and nothing happens or sometimes it reboots and does same thing. ometimes it's the windows logo above the spinning circles and sometimes it's still the ASUS logo. Disabling fast boot was able to see the message, "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed".

[​IMG]

Here's what I've tried so far.

1) Used Easeus Todo Backup to clone my disk 0 to the new drive via USB 3.1 NVME enclousre while booted up. Then swapped out the drives.

2) Used Easeus Todo Backup to first image the disk 0 drive to an image file, then swapped out the drives and used the easeus recovery disk to boot and restore the image to the new drive.

3) Used Windows Backup and Restore to create an image then after swapping drives used the Windows recovery CD to boot and then restore to the new drive.

4) Tried swapping drives and installing Windows 10 to the new drive and after installing Windows 10 on the new drive, booting from windows rescue CD and restoring the windows image file.

All of these resulted in the same issue.

I also verified that the partition structure is the same on original and restored drives. The restored drive of course has extra unallocated space.

Current drive
    [​IMG]

Running the windows troubleshooting console I tried using the bootrec commands.

bootrec /fixboot would give "access denied" even though I was in administrator console.

bootrec /scanos would show it only recognized \windows.old as an installation. I could see all the files on the drive and the normal \windows folder was there.

Also tried the windows repair feature which did nothing.

I would really like to avoid re-installing Windows as I have so many applications and configuration setups.
    My goal is to be able to restore to the larger drive and then expand the C partition to use the larger drive once it boots. And also to have peace of mind that taking the time to image my C drive is worth it in that I can actually restore it if anything ever went wrong in the future.

Any ideas?

Dan

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Did you have another drive connected when you did the original install of windows on the nvme drive ie another ssd or mech drive connected to a sata port?
    How was windows installed ie in uefi or legacy mode?

In regard to cloning, I use and recommend acronis true image for all imaging/cloning, disk copy tasks.

3. DigitalManDan

The original install of Win 10 a couple years ago, I did not connect any of my other drives when I did the install to keep everything on the one drive and I knew Windows has the habit of putting stuff on other drives. UEFI. GPT disk. I've tried both easeus and windows own backup and restore so don't think it's the imageing software. Something is wacky with my current install.

4. DigitalManDan

Now I've run the interim windows updates with my other drives connected.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you have tried many times to restore an image, I would do a secure erase of the samsung drive prior to doing anything else. Some high end asus boards have a utility in the bios for secure erase however we have no idea what hardware you are running. Also samsung has a utility for secure erase of their drives; both work fine.

6. DigitalManDan

ASUS Z170 Deluxe. I will look for that in the BIOS. Thanks.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not think that one has a secure erase utility; it is the ROG boards that have that feature. Check your manual to be sure. In any case, the samsung software will make a bootable usb to secure erase the drive.

8. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You cannot clone NVME to NVME connected USB it will as you found not work
    The USB gender for an NVME PCIE SSD drive is incapable of being correctly configured

That is so even with Samsung cloning tool

Clone the existing NVME to a USB connected SSD - NOT NVME
    Take out the original M2 NVME
    Insert the NEW NVME
    Boot with the TODO Win PE disc
    Clone the USB connected drive to the NEW MVME
    Disconnect the USB drive
    then boot

OR whichever way you wish to clone (restore) to the new NVME
    the important point being that you cannot clone NVME to NVME (USB)

I do notice that you have tried other ways with image files etc.
    I am reasonably convinced you will find that the above method of clone to SSD connected USB
    then connect NEW NVME internally and clone back to that will work.

I would totally agree with my colleague that a total erase/clean of the NEW NVME is required before proceeding.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    DigitalManDan likes this.
  9. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

10. DigitalManDan

I have Samsung Magician 5 installed. I can't seem to find a way to create a bootable CD of it. If I select "Secure Erase" it only has a start button with text "Click to erase all files stored on your NVMe SSD". Not gonna do it. :)

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is the samsung drive currently the system drive?
    The next step should be create the bootable usb.

12. DigitalManDan

So my BIOS does have a secure erase section but it doesn't see my nvme drive, only my sata one. And looks like the latest magician software 5.x won't allow you to create a bootable CD. Ugh. I have a support chat scheduled with Easeus tonight, will see what they say.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I just checked the support page for your motherboard. There are numerous bios updates that address M.2 issues. Are you running the latest bios?

14. DigitalManDan

I ordered a cheap $15 pcie nvme m.2 expansion card just in case. Would assume Samsung software would be able to use that,

15. DigitalManDan

Yes running latest BIOS.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice