1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring a Dell 2400 to factory settings?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cybertaz126, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cybertaz126

cybertaz126 Thread Starter

I've been working on trying to restore my girlfriends Dell and I'm having no luck.
    It's a pre June 2004 computer so the Ctrl F11 startup trick doens't work and i don't have a restore disk.
    What else can i do?
    Thanks

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

You need a Dell Reinstallation Disc . . You can find out how to get one here

Then you perform a clean install . . This is a great guide for reinstalling on a Dell: http://www.djdenham.com/Install Procedures.htm

This will not get the system back to the "as shipped" state . . but it is as close as you can get for that model. Any drivers and applications can be downloaded from the Dell support site

3. cmw2010

cmw2010

Dell restore CD's will cost you 14.95 plus shipping which will bring the total to around 23.00. The last time I had to order replacement CD's for a Dell 2400 I went through no less than 5 Support "Technicians" who all tried to tell me that I needed to purchase a whole new operating system at a cost of 200.00. The last one I talked to, when I told him of the gauntlet I just had to run through said, and I quote, " I can't believe they told you that". So don't settle for anything more than 14.95 plus shipping and tax of course!

4. DellCA_Neil

DellCA_Neil Account Closed

Rich:

I’m at Dell Headquarters in Austin, Texas and I just came across this thread and this doesn't seem right. As long as the system shipped with XP on it we will send you an OS CD for free, regardless of whether the warranty is expired or not. The only situations where we won't are if the system shipped with 2000, ME, or some earlier version because we don't bother to stock those CD’s any more. As for the drivers CD, we don't stock those any more since we haven’t made the Dimension 2400 in a long time but you can download all the drivers from support.dell.com and just burn a CD of those in a couple minutes. I'm not sure why you would be denied an XP CD but would be more than happy to look into this further and ship you one. If emailing me please put my name in the subject line so the message is routed to me.

Neil
    [email protected]
    Round Rock REC

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

That was my understanding . . thanks for the clarification.

6. cmw2010

cmw2010

Well, evidently I did not talk to the right person. I have had to buy restore CD's from Dell and also HP, both for 23.00 shipped. No one has ever offered to send them for free, but after 5 Techs telling me 200.00 dollars I thought 23.00 was a bargain and not worth the hassle of arguing further considering it wasn't my computer anyway. Thanks for the info so maybe next time the need arises I will keep pushing for free!

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

Perhaps it is a function of size, but it often seems that you get different answers from Dell depending on who you speak with. More than a few times, I have gotten nowhere with one tech, only to call right back and get the right solution with a different one.

May also be a function of training I suppose?

8. DellCA_Neil

DellCA_Neil Account Closed

CMW2010: If we can locate the order number and also verify that the system you called in about had XP on it when it shipped, I can refund the $23 you paid for the CD. I can also get once sent out to Cybertaz126. In order to get those items taken care of please email me at the address below and make sure my name in the subject line.

Neil
    [email protected]
    Round Rock REC

9. cmw2010

cmw2010

Thanks for the offer, but it was at least a year ago and I just billed the customer and they have since moved to Texas. I'll just remember it for the next time:D

10. Peter Komar

Peter Komar

That was very generous of you for offering help. I currently have 4 Dells at home and have had no problems with them. keep up the good work.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice