1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring a hard drive that is longer being detected by my laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by todaa, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. todaa

todaa Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario 2580US Notebook with an operating system Windows XP Home Edition. Previously I installed Windows XP Professional, and then after a few months something happened (I don't know what), and my computer would not operate. I charged up the battery completely and when I went to BIOS Utility to do a self test on the Hard Drive, it said no Hard Drive was detected and there was no IDE. I, then, had a friend look at it, and he pulled out the Hard Drive and noticed two prongs were bent. The prongs were then bent back staright and the drive put in. This still did not fix the problem. It says the command interepreter is missing. Please tell me what to do to fix my harddrive.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You may need to replace the hard drive?

It is hard to imagine just how "prongs could get bent" without some physical event however, so you may need to consider that damage *could* have occured within the laptop if the "prongs" were not just bent by the action of removing the hard drive (most probable) and were therefore not the cause of the original problem.

3. tonytis

tonytis

I agree with kiwiguy. The 1st thing I would do is find out how the pins got bent. They don't come that way from the factory. Not having those pins connected could have caused an circuit to short out and that could be the reason why the hard drive is not being recognised.

Normally in this case, if the system does not see a drive, it's because there is a physical problem with the drive and nothing you can normally fix yourself.

Important questions:
    1. Do you have a backup and is it recent?
    2. It sounds like your HD is no longersalvageable. How impotant is the data that it contains?
    3. If it's mission critical, is it worth having a data recovery process performed on it?

I expect you will junk it and get a new hard drive.

Tony

4. iamubiquitous

iamubiquitous

command interpreter is windows-based problem i.e.: command.com and should be found at c:\windows or can be replaced using a win98 diskette (1.44 floppy) this is not a hardware based issue. bent pins (usually) can just be straightened. Furthermore if the drive is 40gi or smaller, unless the data is high-priority, you can upgrade to 100 gig for about $60.00us dollars

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice