1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring a Think Pad X1 Carbon to factory settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muckmail, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I have a Think Pad X1 Carbon that does not have a F11 in the restore
    menu.

How can I restore this computer to factory settings without the
    F11 in the restore menu?

Thank you,

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Are you still using the original Win 8 on the machine? It should have a Reset feature.

3. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

No, it has windows 7.0 on it. I think I might have installed Win 7 in the past.
    It has Windows 8.1 on a sticker on the outside case so I think I should be able to
    reset it to 8.1

Thank you,

4. Mavrick88

Mavrick88

If it has a Windows 8.1 sticker on it, technically you should be able to upgrade to Windows 10 just as long as you match the version that the computer came with. If it's home then you need to install Windows 10 home, if it's pro then you need to install Windows 10 Pro. There's also the possibility that it will automatically select this for you when you go to install Windows 10 without even asking you because of the built-in registration on the motherboard. You can actually download a free USB tool from Microsoft to download and install a Windows 10 media USB stick that will allow you to install Windows 10 from it. You can Google this and make sure you download this directly from a Microsoft link. If you can't find the link, just post in here that you can't find it. Installing Windows 10 will not be factory settings of course and you will have to install the programs you want from there. But a clean installation of Windows is always recommended for best system response.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Mavrick88 likes this.
  6. Mavrick88

Mavrick88

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice