1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Restoring a windows partition - switching drive letters and

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MCKejml, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCKejml

MCKejml Thread Starter

Hello,

due to a recent Windows 8.1 update, my boot partition C: was rendered unusable. Luckily, I had a backup from a month ago on an external drive. I tried restoring it by Easeus ToDo backup, but it got stuck at 68% several times. I managed to salvage all the data from the backup by partial restores, so I have the whole partition back on my hard drive.

Meanwhile, I installed a fresh Windows 8.1 instance on my C drive. I had the restored backup of my old Windows on drive E. I was able to boot into it, but it did not let me use my profile I used before the crash - files there was mapped to a C: drive, including the users directory (when I moved the E:/users directory into C:/Users, I was able to sign under my profile, but everything else, it being mapped to the C:/ drive, didn't work).

So, I was thinking about switching the drive letters. The C: letter can not be switched using diskmgmt, and I also tried to work with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. While I was able to switch some drive letters around on non-bootable partitions, changing the letter on my E:/ drive caused it to not boot anymore, serving me a "Critical device failure" error.

I am at the end of my rope here. I was thinking about installing windows to a new partition, and forcefully copying the whole backup there, I dunno. Could someone help me out, please?

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Probably the easiest methods
    Would be to create another use and copy your files over to
    It.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice